PDA

View Full Version : What open files like hda1, hda3 and hda5 by default?

rrfish72
08-08-2004, 08:49 PM
I seem to have changed this setting and cannot get hda1 to open like it used to. I tried 'open with...' and tried some different things but they do not work. Help!

Cuddles
08-09-2004, 04:15 PM
I seem to have changed this setting and cannot get hda1 to open like it used to. I tried 'open with...' and tried some different things but they do not work. Help!

rrfish72,

You open those "devices" with either a mount /dev/hda1 etc... command, or by clicking on the icon on the desktop for the specific device ( which will cause a "mount" to be performed, and then a Konq. window to view the files, and folders of that device. )

If you want these devices to be "automatically" mounted during a boot, then a change in your /etc/fstab file is needed for that.

To give an example, here is my fstab file:

root@Morpheus:~# cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda6 /home auto defaults,auto 0 2
/dev/hda3 none swap defaults 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc1 /mnt/hdc1 vfat defaults,users,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/hdc2 /mnt/hdc2 ext3 defaults,users,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,noatime,umask=000 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio1 /cdaudio1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
root@Morpheus:~#

Take a look at my /dev/hda5, my /dev/hda6, and my /dev/hda3 partitions. My root partition, /dev/hda5, is automatically mounted because it is my root, my /dev/hda3 partition is automatically mounted because it is my swap, and lastly, my /dev/hda6 is my /home partition, and if you look in the "options", or the right side of the information, you will find the word "auto" - during a boot, the OS looks through the fstab file and mounts devices/partitions that it knows it has to mount, and in addition, any devices/partitions that have this "auto" in them.

If you look through my fstab file, you will find every device/partition, other than the three I mentioned above, have the key word option of "noauto" in them - which tells the OS, during a boot, not to automatically mount these devices/partitions. Chances are, in the case of a floppy, or CD-ROM device, you don't want to have them automatically mounted during a boot, because, chances are, they may not have media in them. As for the two other partitions I have listed in my fstab, that are ALSO not automatically mounted, these two partitions hold my Win98 install for Wine support, and my backup Ext3 partition for my main system - in both these cases, I don't automatically need them mounted, and I mount them manually, when I do need them.

Hopefully, this has both answered your question, and given you background on your answer,
Ms. Cuddles

rrfish72
08-10-2004, 04:36 AM
When I try to open with Konqueror:

There appears to be a configuration error. You have associated Konqueror with application/x-desktop, but it can't handle this file type.

And a blank konqueror window appears.

Still can't get to my Windows files. I could before I changed the open with... and now I don't know how to get back to default.