PDA

View Full Version : DCOPserver in knoppix.img?

dave_sussex
08-09-2004, 10:45 PM
I have tried to look this up in the forum...I run a knoppix-based webserver all running from CD-Rom with /home on a windows partition. This has been running since January but recently developed a fault (see footnote).
When I try to reboot using the cheatcode 'knoppix home=scan' I get the following:

'mounting /mnt/hda1/knoppix.img as /home/knoppix' (looks OK to me)

then starts loading KDE before output of error

'could not read network connect list /home/knoppix/DCOPserver_knoppix_0
Please check that the DCOPserver program is running' (I assume this refers to the compressed home file)

Does this indicate that the knoppix.img file is corrupt? If so, is there any way to recover any of it? I note that there is a DCOPserver_knoppix_0
file in the root directory.

FOOTNOTE: A wall collapsed onto my server and although it survived, my backup CDs were umm trashed!

dave_sussex
08-16-2004, 08:47 PM
As nobody else seems to have met this...I've sussed it... the knoppix.img file thinks it is full. I managed to delete a few files after copying them to another partition and it now works once more...
Process was:
COPY the img to another PC with more Ram & bigger HDD
BOOT that pc with knoppix cd using cheatcode home=scan...It fell over as described in the original post but has enough raw RAM to load TWM.
FROM that I can see inside the img file to do the copy & delete.
RESTART that PC as normal & its all there.
Now all i need is a bigger HDD on the original PC so I can copy the files to the raw HDD without using a home image file. Hopefully that will tell me before I get locked out.