PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix boot problem, need some help, warning I am a newb.

mike208
08-10-2004, 01:50 AM
Its actually not the offical knoppix CD, it is a slightly moddified version forun in the moving to linux, kiss the BSoD goodbye book. I had managed to get it to load a couple times, but have been doing some work on my system. I just installed a new MB, CPU and memory, and thus did a reinstall of XP. Now knoppix is very slow to load and doesn't even seem to finish booting.

I get the splash screen with the boot prompt, and can continue past that, then I get the screen with the penguin at the top left. I also get an error stating only one CPU found(my new board is a dual opteron board, with currently only one CPU)but I have gotten this and gone past it before). Then if I wait for quite a while I get some stuff saying something like "ide:scsi unsupported hard drisk request in the queue (0)" several times with a couple "IDE disk read failed"s mixed in.

If I wait quite a while longer it continues on to the colored text boot portion which it goes through till it gives me this
"Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab....

I am not sure how long this should take, but I have left it there for like 5-10 minutes and it doesn't seem to finish.

Any help?

ZedroS
08-10-2004, 08:14 AM
I had quite the same error using a CDRW on some old pcs.

Apparently the CD ROM drive wasn't able to read properly my CDRW. Using a CDR it was working perfectly.

I hope it helps !

Cheers

pulsar
08-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Try using cheatcodes to boot. 'knoppix noapm', 'knoppix noapic', 'knoppix failsave'. See the cheatcodes list.

mike208
08-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the info, here is a bit of an update. I have recently found out that it does actually boot, it just takes about an hour and a half to fully boot, and even them my mouse wasn't working, but that could have been something wrong on my end.

Also not sure if it relates in anyway, but after it did boot, i restarted to see if it would boot quicker the next time, it did not, so i restarted without the CD to get back into windows, and I got a "missing NTLDR press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart". I just did a repair install to fix the problem, but am kinda wondering if it will happen again if I try to boot it again.