PDA

View Full Version : Lexar media USB multi-card reader

VeeDubb
03-19-2003, 08:18 AM
I hae a multi card reader from lexar media. In windows it is recognized as 4 removable drives. what I want is a way to use it in linux where cards are auto mounted as soon as I put one in the reader and auto unmounted when I pull one out. I'm sure this is possible and probably even easy, I just don't know how. Even if I just had a link that mounted, that would be fine.

rickenbacherus
03-19-2003, 08:32 PM
Here is alot of info on USB & Linux

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x498.html

http://www.linux-usb.org

VeeDubb
03-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Just what I needed, thanks!

VeeDubb
03-19-2003, 10:24 PM
I could actualy use just a litle more help. I want the card readers to act the same as a floppy drive so I put the same lines in fstab that were already there for the floppy at the bottum again for my card readers and replaced every reference to the floppy with sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4. (It's a 4 card reader) and i was unable to access the cards.

So, what exactly should I put in the fstab to get them to behave like floppies?

rickenbacherus
03-19-2003, 11:08 PM
replaced every reference to the floppy with sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4. (It's a 4 card reader) and i was unable to access the cards.

So, what exactly should I put in the fstab to get them to behave like floppies?

The way you have them listed it is as if they are the same drive. You want them as differnet drives so...

sda, sdb, sdc, etc. sda1 is the first partition on the first scsi disk (I know they aren't scsi but they are under scsi emulation.)

Post the output of;

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Post your fstab as well.

VeeDubb
03-20-2003, 11:06 AM
The pertinent lines of my fstab are now

/dev/sdb /mnt/reader2 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/sdc /mnt/reader3 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/sdd /mnt/reader4 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0

Still does not work. I will post the other results you asked for later. It's hard to go back and forth because I am on dial-up internet service so I have to dual boot with windows untill I can get a real modem.

VeeDubb
03-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Here's the cat output

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: LG Model: CD-ROM CRD-8483B Rev: 1.02
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
Vendor: PHILIPS Model: PCRW804 Rev: 2,1
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: Lexar Model: USB Storage-SMC Rev: 0180
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

This is a litle worrysome, it does show one reader, but it's the SMC reader which is the only one I couldn't care less about. The CFII, SD/MMC and MS are the ones I need.

rickenbacherus
03-20-2003, 01:55 PM
Interesting.....post this:

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

rickenbacherus
03-20-2003, 11:23 PM
I have recently learned something, Knoppix doesn't have CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN set so it won't read multi card readers. It looks like you'd have to build a custom kernel for it.

VeeDubb
03-21-2003, 01:45 AM
Actualy...

I booted uing the knoppix CD instead of my har drive install, with with the card reaer in place and cards in it, and you know what? There was a HDD link on the dsktop for each card and I could access my files both ways. So it is possible.

I tried, like a big idiot, to save the fstab from when I booted useing the CD, and just write over the fstab in the HD install and of course now linux won't boot, so I'm back to windows for the evening. I plan on re-installing tonight. Then I will copy just the lines I need into the fstab.

But in any case it IS possible because booting from CD does it.

rickenbacherus
03-21-2003, 05:17 AM
But in any case it IS possible because booting from CD does it.

Looks like I learned something else! :D

VeeDubb
03-21-2003, 05:48 AM
I copied the apprepriate lines into fstab, made the mount points in the file system, rebooted, refused to mount, said it wasn't a valid block device.

trying to stay possative...... :?

spurious
12-27-2003, 07:18 PM
I've just written a post about how to detect and mount a 6-in-1 USB multi-card reader (for Compactflash, Smartmedia / x-Media, SD/MMC and Sony Memorystick), without recompiling the kernel, at this thread in the Tips & Tricks forum (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31491#31491) .