PDA

View Full Version : SCSI Controller Tekram DC-395U

Steve8
03-19-2003, 08:59 AM
Hello,
I'm searching for a kernel module (dc395x_trm.o) for a Tekram DC-395U SCSI controller for KNOPPIX V3.1. Can somebody tell me where I can get it.
Thanks.
Steve

rickenbacherus
03-19-2003, 08:41 PM
Maybe here:

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/

The download links seemed to work OK.

Steve8
03-20-2003, 08:21 AM
Thank you for the link. But I found only the sources there. I have no idea how to make a module.

rickenbacherus
03-20-2003, 02:32 PM
Here's a brief how to on compiling from source. It isn't always the same but this will give you the general idea. Virtually all tarballs have instructions on how to install/compile. You will find them after you untar it.

cd /the_directory_where_you_downloaded_your_tarball

then do a:

tar xzvf dc395-141.tar.gz<---insert the name of your tarball here.

This will create a new directory called dc395-141-do a:
cd /dc395-141

After you cd to the new directory you will see alot of files. There is usually a 'README' or some info on how to compile and install. This is generally how it goes:

./configure
make
make install
make clean

You can always do a:
info tar too. I think the info pages are better than man pages myself-much more informative. Post back if you need further assistance.

Steve8
03-20-2003, 05:25 PM
Ok, I have untar the file and open the README file and follow up the install instructions.
I should copy the files to "/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi". How can I do this? This directory is located on CD-ROM and therefore read-only.
The next thing is: Are all sources on CD? Under /usr/src/linux I see only 2 directories "documentation" and "include".

rickenbacherus
03-20-2003, 08:45 PM
oH.....I thought you had installed it to your hard drive - my bad. Anyway......... I have installed Knoppix myself so I don't know alot about additional modules. There is 'persistent home' but I think that's only for the home directory and would save setting like browser preferences, backgrounds and such. I do know that booting 'expert' mode allows you to load additional modules from a floppy. I might be as easy as simply extracting the module to a floppy and then telling Knoppix to load the module on boot but it's probably a little more complicated than that. Sorry I can't give you more direction. I would repost with a title of "how to load module from floppy at boot" or something similar - hopefully someone here at this forum can help you out. I'll keep my eyes open. gluck