PDA

View Full Version : Lucent Orinoco gold card problems

Jberryman
08-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to linux so bear with me. I've searched through the forums but haven't had much luck. I just got an Orinoco gold card from ebay, and I'm not sure what to call it, so I'll try to describe it as best I can:

The body of the card has "orinoco" on a purple background and a "wifi" logo and a gold and black strip on the side with the word "gold" in the black field of the strip on the right side of the strip. On the back I've got a lot of serial numbers etc. with "Lucent Technologies" on the top. Windows XP recognizes it and automatically uses a driver from 2001 called "wlluc48" if that helps.

Ok, so when I boot up knoppix 3.4 when it tries to load the Orinoco card I get something like:

cardmgr [92] 'Lucent Technologies'
cardmgr [92] modprobe 'Hermes'
cardmgr [92] modprobe 'Orinoco'

...and a couple other messages (something about eth0 and maybe something else), so that it appeared to recognize the card.
But then at the 'Autoconfigure Devices' stage I get partway through the green bars and spinny stick and then get the error messages:

cardmgr [92] + operation failed
cardmgr [92] start cmd exited with status 1

It then completes the loading. When I try to use Etherial the card doesn't show up as a source, and wlcardconfig says it doesn't see a wireless card.

Here is the output of 'lspci -v', I wasn't sure what exactly was relevant:
rface (rev 02)
Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer: Unknown device 0500
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Capabilities: <available only to root>

0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
(prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 96
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=32
I/O behind bridge: 00003000-00003fff
Memory behind bridge: e8100000-e81fffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f0000000-f7ffffff

0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BA/CA/DB/EB/ER Hub interface to PCI B
ridge (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=32
I/O behind bridge: 00004000-00004fff
Memory behind bridge: e8200000-e82fffff

0000:03:00.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev
01)
Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer: Unknown device 0500
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 16
Memory at 20001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Bus: primary=03, secondary=04, subordinate=07, sec-latency=176
Memory window 0: 20400000-207ff000 (prefetchable)
Memory window 1: 20800000-20bff000
I/O window 0: 00004400-000044ff
I/O window 1: 00004800-000048ff
16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to be thorough here, sorry for the length.
Thanks for any help

armcurl
12-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Hi - did you ever get an answer to this problem ?
I'm having similar trouble with a Netgear MA401 and Knoppix 3.9

Harry Kuhman
12-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Hi - did you ever get an answer to this problem ?
I'm having similar trouble with a Netgear MA401 and Knoppix 3.9
You are posting a message to someone who made a grand total of one post on this forum, and that was well over a year ago. You have a completely different wifi card than he has/had. I'm not at all clear why your think your card and problem is similar, why you think that poster may have an answer for you, or why you want your post in a thread with the subject line Lucent Orinoco gold card problems rather than starting your own thread, and even why you wouldn't put it in the Networking forum where is is likely to reach the proper people..

armcurl
12-03-2005, 12:48 PM
You are posting a message to someone who made a grand total of one post on this forum, and that was well over a year ago. You have a completely different wifi card than he has/had. I'm not at all clear why your think your card and problem is similar, why you think that poster may have an answer for you, or why you want your post in a thread with the subject line Lucent Orinoco gold card problems rather than starting your own thread, and even why you wouldn't put it in the Networking forum where is is likely to reach the proper people..

Hi Harry,
Thanks for your help. You are helping, right?
To answer your points: regardless of the number of posts (or replies!) the above poster had made, it is entirely possible that they have requested they be informed when their post receives replies. Since no-one in the forum has replied, this might explain why, to date, they have not been back. I mean, how many problems can one person have that they need to post about ? Maybe he has a life elsewhere ? Maybe he's found as OS that works out of the box?
The make and model of our cards are different yes, but Knoppix seems to recognise my card as requiring the same drivers as the Orinoco card. I didn't pick this thread at random, but found it (via Google) while trying to find a solution to my problem. There are many similarities - the same OS, the same drivers, the same message(s). I had hoped that if the original poster had found a solution, that that solution would work for me. I posted rather than PMing, because I thought that might be more useful to anyone else seeking a solution to the same problem. Let's not hide our lights under a bushel.
And, as far as forums go - I'm repying to a post. Why would I want to start a new thread or put my reply in a different forum ? - that would go against the entire reason d'etre of my post, surely? If you know of a thread that answers either my query or that of the original poster, I'm all ears...

Again, thanks for your help; but I do hope it's not representative of the level of help I should expect from all Knoppix users when I have a problem... and I do note your point about *nobody* helping the original poster out in over a year.