PDA

View Full Version : freezing system

henning.scheid
08-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Hi everybody,

i want to clone the workstations in our pool. I use KNOPPIX for the network connection. While copiing on a fileservers export via dd, the system freezes. My steps are:

1. boot KNOPPIX from CD
2. mount export: mount -o rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nolock,hard,intr fileserver:/images /mnt/extdisk
3. copping the partition: dd if=/dev/hda1 | gzip -c > /mnt/extdisk/image.gz

My system is an athlon 64 with gigabyte k8n board. The network interface is a realtek 8169 onboard.

henning

Cuddles
08-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi everybody,

i want to clone the workstations in our pool. I use KNOPPIX for the network connection. While copiing on a fileservers export via dd, the system freezes. My steps are:

1. boot KNOPPIX from CD
2. mount export: mount -o rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nolock,hard,intr fileserver:/images /mnt/extdisk
3. copping the partition: dd if=/dev/hda1 | gzip -c > /mnt/extdisk/image.gz

My system is an athlon 64 with gigabyte k8n board. The network interface is a realtek 8169 onboard.

henning

Henning.scheid,

I am but a noob as far as the "mount", and the "dd" you are doing above, but, from the man pages on "dd", it states that you need if to be specified, or the input will be assumed from stdin, and that you need of to be specified, or the output will be assumed to go to stdout -=- from what I can tell, is, you are using gzip to create a file, which is being used to pass to the "dd" command, right? You specify an input file, but, don't you need to specify the output? ( again, pardon me if I am completely clueless about this, I am just trying to help, and, also, for myself, understand more. Thanks :D )

Ms. Cuddles

henning.scheid
08-11-2004, 04:27 PM
you're right. The outputfile must be specified otherwise dd writes to stdout. I'm using '|' to transfer the stdout to stdin. gzip compresses everthing coming from stdin. gzip itself writes to stdout again, but stdout is piped '>' to a file. So the compressed image will be the file with the name after the pipe '>'.
The mount an the dd command are working. I've tried it on an other computer. But the new one keeps on freezing.
I think there is a problem with the network interface.

bye henning

Cuddles
08-11-2004, 04:47 PM
I think I understand, now, in the following:

dd if=/dev/hda1 | gzip -c > /mnt/extdisk/image.gz

dd is taking all files and folders of hda1, passing them, through stdout, into gzip, as stdin, and then creating the file image.gz in the device/folder /mnt/extdisk - which is mounted to fileserver:/images -=- cool...

Just to think of the "stupid" things that could go wrong -=- hda1 is mounted, and to the mount point of /dev -=- right?

Sorry, thats all I can come up with, not worked with nic's for a while, and then, it was on Windows systems ( Win98 and NT ) -=- so, I'm not much help other than the above...

But, thanks for the understanding, and explanation, I appreciate it :D
Ms. Cuddles