PDA

View Full Version : Use of wireless bridge

mikemz
08-11-2004, 11:23 PM
I was going to by a wireless bridge for use with knoppix, which is installed to my hard drive. The Internet worked perfectly on my computer until I set up a wireless network. Now linux doesn't even find my wireless card.

I noticed that wireless routers have normal LAN ports on the back, so I was thinking I could use a second router I have instead of buying a wireless bridge for $100. Is this possible?

aay
08-12-2004, 01:45 PM
I think some wireless routers will do this. You'll just need to consult the documentation on your router to find out for sure.

sokminer
08-13-2004, 12:21 PM
MikeMZ
Any router should do the trick. What's with a second router ????
If you need multiple connectivity at a place that's still got wired access then an even less expensive method is use an ethernet switch. Your existing router should handle all of the routing because that what it does.

Sokminer

Harry Kuhman
08-13-2004, 07:30 PM
... The Internet worked perfectly on my computer until I set up a wireless network. Now linux doesn't even find my wireless card.
So wired networking worked fine, but Linux fails to see your wireless card, just like it fails to see mine and many many other user's cards who have posted that problem. Why in the world you you think you need a "wireless bridge"? Why would you think that adding another node somewhere would help if the problem is that Linux doesn't even recognize the card?

You haven't given people any information about your card, so others can't tell you if Linux is know to work with that card or known to have problems with it. But I would suggest you read other posts in this forum that have gone over the same problem over and over again.

dreamwalker509
08-31-2004, 01:33 AM
I have the same problem as many of you have. Linux doesn't recognize my wireless card. I have a D-Link AirPlus DWL 520+ Wireless PCI Adapter. Max Rate is 11MBps. Any ideas how one could get it to work?

ZeuZ
09-06-2004, 06:13 PM
I Had the same problem before..... but running hwsetup as root I solved it.... At first I thought that the drivers were the problem

sokminer
09-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Dreamwalker

I believe that your 520+ is an acx100 card. google acx100 and poke around the 2-3 top sites. House of Craig has a spectacular tutorial on how to get one these type of cards going. FWIW your max rate on that card ought ot be 22M if you have a similar router.

Sokminer