PDA

View Full Version : Making the hard drive writeable...

howagood
03-19-2003, 01:13 PM
I read with particular interest Roberto's reply [December 31, 2002] to a post by M@rijn in the Knoppix HDD Install forum. I've been playing around with Knoppix for a couple of weeks and thought it would be very interesting to set up a machine on which the operating system is on the CD but with permissions to write to the hard drive. For one thing, that would make for an incredibly easy upgrade when a newer version of Knoppix becomes available. My hard drive currently consists of a single Linux-formatted partition.

I followed Roberto's instructions, particularly step #6, to make the hard drive writeable and was ultimately successful but ran into some differences. For example, when I right-clicked on the desktop icon for hda1, the menu that displayed did not contain an option to "Mount as Read-Write," as he had mentioned. I will list here what I encountered and welcome anyone's comments. To make my hard drive writeable, I performed the following steps.

1. Right-click on icon of Hard Disk Partition [hda1].
2. In the drop-down menu that displays, left-click on Properties. A window titled "General Permissions, Device" displays, containing three tabs.
3. Left-click on the Device tab. Uncheck the Read-Only box.
4. Left-click on OK.
5. Right-click again on icon of Hard Disk Partition [hda1].
6. In the drop-down menu that displays, left-click on Unmount.
7. Right-click again on icon of Hard Disk Partition [hda1].
8. In the drop-down menu that displays, left click on Mount. Because of the prior steps, hda1 is now mounted [remounted] as Read-Write.

I also tried another method, issuing the following command from a console command line:

sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda1

but was met with the following message... mount: "you must specify file system type." I was uncertain how/where to respond to that, so I didn't explore that method any further.

Regards,
Howard

RockMumbles
03-19-2003, 07:01 PM
sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda1

you will have to specify your mountpoint in your mount command:

sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

(my example is assuming you are mounting /dev/hda1 at /mnt/hda1) try that if you still get the filesystem error then use:

sudo mount -t ext2 -o remount,rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
(assuming your partition is ext2 not ext3)

From you desktop in KDE right click on your 'Hard Disk Partition [hda1]' icon and look in the available selections, just above " Mount " there should be an entry " Change read/write mode " use that menu selection.

HTH

rock