PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix crashes during KDE startup. Please Help?!

asmodath
03-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Just got Knoppix and tried to run it and it detects all my hardware beautifuly (Startup sound is great) but during KDE loading, I get a crash dialog box (with a little picture of a bomb) saying that the KDE Daemon got the signal 11 (SIGSEGV) the only option is the CLOSE button, after I push it... :( dead... :x nothin'. Screen stays black and there is no disk activity. After letting it sit for 15 min hoping it would recover I gave up and tried again. Same thing. Any help would be great. I want to learn Linux, but I'm not ready to install a distro yet, so Knoppix would be great. Thanks guys. :oops:

RockMumbles
03-19-2003, 06:11 PM
:?: That sounds weird ... maybe your cd is bad? :?:

try starting up with another window manager or desktop environment, press f2 at startup to see the options, first I would try gnome as it is another full functioned desktop environment, so you would start knoppix from the initial staretup screen with:

knoppix desktop=gnome

Note: from my experience gnome doesn't run as good as kde on knoppix, but if you can get gnome to run the I would expect that your cd is bad. I have read where people that have a newer high speed cd-rw are having better luck burning knoppix cd's at a slower speed say 8x rather than 40x.

you might want to check the cd out by booting with:

knoppix testcd

HTH

rock