PDA

View Full Version : 3.4 won't boot on latititude cpi

jasmith
08-12-2004, 05:55 PM
3.4 will boot on my desktop but not my laptop.
it just hangs when trying to detect the cdrom/sda (after it detects usb/firewire stuff)
is this because the laptop is so old? or is it because its cdrom is a moduler bay?
thanx

imatuxman
08-12-2004, 09:30 PM
My Compaq/Toshiba laptops fail on the autodetect. My solution was running knoppix with the line:

knoppix26 noscsi noapic nolapic

Try the noscsi option first, the toshiba worked fine. I needed to disable the rest for the Compaq Presario 700 series.

Hope this helps

Matt

jasmith
08-13-2004, 05:48 AM
knoppix26 noscsi noapic nolapic
Matt

Thanks imatuxman
:D

do I type all those in at once or one at a time?

j.drake
08-13-2004, 10:49 PM
You type all cheatcodes at once.

jd

jasmith
08-14-2004, 06:44 AM
Thanks a ton everyone!
got it working with "failsafe"

Keyser_Soze
08-20-2004, 06:28 PM
I used the 'atapicd' option without anything else when facing this issue. This forces the use of atapi cd cddrom and doesn't try to turn it into a SCSI device.

Taken from the cheat code list:
knoppix atapicd Do NOT use SCSI-Emulation for IDE CD-Roms

The other codes posted may get you up and running but may cause other issues later on. You should try to keep options at a bare minimum to address the issues at hand.

at east thats my 2 cents

florin
08-23-2004, 09:53 PM
I have the exact same problem with an old Dell Latitude CPi laptop and Knoppix 3.4.
It displays...

Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0

...and it just hangs there.
The "atapicd" parameter fixes the problem, it's just that, with the 2.6 kernel, even with the parameter is takes a long time (so it appears to be broken regardless of the parameter).
Anyway, the 2.6 kernel fails later on with: "hdc: irq timeout"

florin
08-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Ok. Same thing happens with Knoppix 3.6

I wonder why SCSI emulation is still used, since it does not appear to be required anymore and it seems to cause problems?
Are there situations when ATAPI CD causes trouble?