PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix is Debian??

jimbo62
08-13-2004, 01:01 AM
Well, I have been very impressed with how easy it is to run Knoppix from the LiveCd and to get a hard disk installation running. And I see the claim that once installed, Knoppix is Debian. That implies that the Debian upgrades and software can be applied to a Knoppix installation.

I am a beginner so I don't know how practical it is to have an installation package that after installation becomes a different disrtibution. But it sure seems like a great way to get the best of two worlds, a very easy installation and a very large pool of applications and upgrades.

I would appreciate a discussion from those who know about such things.

Thanks, jimbo

champagnemojo
08-13-2004, 02:16 AM
I'll give it a shot to answer you. Knoppix is a live-cd based on Debian. Because Debian is the distro used to create Knoppix, once you install onto the harddrive you basically have a debian install. It's not exactly the same as a pure Debian install, but as you've found it's also easier to install with.

Yes, you can and should use Debian software on a Knoppix hd-install. As far as one distro becoming another...it's still technically Knoppix...it's just that Knoppix is a customized version of Debian.

FelixDzerzhinsky
08-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Try saying that on irc #debian

A lot of debian users seem to want to keep it as an exclusive club. According to them if you install with knoppix you don't have debian.

If you admit to having used knoppix to install they will tell you to ask on #knoppix even if it is an apt-get or other debian specific issue!

jayhags
08-13-2004, 11:17 AM
If you admit to having used knoppix to install they will tell you to ask on #knoppix even if it is an apt-get or other debian specific issue!

Of course a lot of debian users will read/post here to get help with their questions. Myself included :D

champagnemojo
08-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I've heard that about the debian folks. I imagine they've gotten tired of trying to help people with knoppix-specific problems. And I'm sure some are just being snobby. I've never felt the need to ask anything of the debian crowd myself (even now that I'm using debian). I can usually find the answer on here, and I like this forum and the people on it.