PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: thin client project

Magic_Pack
08-13-2004, 01:29 PM
I happened to have a mildly faulty( read- overheating) P IV mobo with all the jazz and am attempting to get it to run... which i have apart from two pieces of equipment a FDD( which seems to be obviously faulty... need to go find/buy a new one) and a network card(10/100, pretty standard) from what i can tell the network card is detected and works but is unable to connect to my MS ICS server(yeah, i know microsoft server is a BAD idea... still teaching myself linux :p) Its a thin client- IE no fixed storage running knoppix 3.4 with the 2.6 kernal a GF 4 MX 420( using the Fbdev option and so on) i will give more info if asked cause i have no idea what info to give., any help will be appreciated
Thanks

Edit: a bit more info- lan is via a generic PCI lan card. attemting to Ping the "server" results in between 50% to 100% lost packets. DHCP broadcasts results in an error message that simply reads "failed hit return to exit"

mzilikazi
08-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Edit: a bit more info- lan is via a generic PCI lan card. attemting to Ping the "server" results in between 50% to 100% lost packets. DHCP broadcasts results in an error message that simply reads "failed hit return to exit"

Well I cannot guarantee anything but if my packet loss changed and the card works sometimes and not others I would ditch that card immediately. That definitely sounds like flaky hardware to me. You can glean some info about that NIC from a shell w/

lspci -v