PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix v3.4 Boots to Grey Screen & black crosshair HELP

NoDice
08-14-2004, 11:17 PM
I'm using an HP/Compaq nx9008 laptop. With nothing connected, I boot the laptop w/ knoppix v3.4 & the last line says "starting xserver ??? something ???, Retry xfree86 ??? something ???, Unable to load xserver ". Now when I boot w/ knoppix v0.1 (the original or 1st release of knoppix, I think), I have no problems... Note: I have tried my copy of knoppix v3.4 on 3 PC's w/ no problems.. Only on my LapTop for some reason... So after the Error I get an All Grey Screen and a Black Crosshair acting as my mouse. Any ideas??? tia

turbinater
08-15-2004, 03:02 AM
Sounds like your xserver is having trouble starting. What type of video hardware do you have?
Have you tried booting with the cheatcode:

knoppix xmodule=vesa

NoDice
08-15-2004, 04:48 AM
I'm using a Radeon IGP 345M graphics card. I think intergrated. And I've tried using your cheat and still notta. I think I used it right. I typed right before the boot at the propmt that says enter to begin or something like that. But this time, I was able to see the Error message... "Error: No suitable x-server found for your card"... ??? :(

turbinater
08-15-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm using a Radeon IGP 345M graphics card. I think intergrated. And I've tried using your cheat and still notta. I think I used it right. I typed right before the boot at the propmt that says enter to begin or something like that. But this time, I was able to see the Error message... "Error: No suitable x-server found for your card"... ??? :(

Here's a bunch of cheat codes you can mix and match:
knoppix xmodule=ati noapic noapm
knoppix xmodule=radeon noapic noapm
knoppix xserver=XFree86
knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
knoppix26

if all else fails, you can try this:
knoppix failsafe

If you want more cheat codes, look at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

NoDice
08-16-2004, 04:21 AM
Hello & Thanks a Billion! The cmd "knoppix xmodule=ati noapic noapm" worked but what does this mean? I'm going to google these cmds for a while and read what I find. Thanks again... Dave

crumpledzone
08-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I'm having a similar difficulty loading the xserver on another laptop in the same range: the Compaq nx9005. Tried the cheatcodes recommended in this thread and a few different combinations, but to no avail... the knoppix CD works fine on other machines... anyone know any other cheatcodes or things I could try?

crumpledzone
08-29-2004, 06:20 AM
FWIW, I got there in the end: knoppix acpi=off worked for me...

:)

Sy
08-31-2004, 12:49 AM
Hello & Thanks a Billion! The cmd "knoppix xmodule=ati noapic noapm" worked but what does this mean? I'm going to google these cmds for a while and read what I find. Thanks again... Dave

This is a great site for Acronyms

http://www.acronymfinder.com/