PDA

View Full Version : X crashes when viewing embedded media

dtz
08-15-2004, 02:01 AM
Anyone know anything about this? When I tried to view anything that should play embedded in mozilla X crashes and restarts. The trailers at apple.com are an example. about:plugins says these should be handled by mplayer but no go. I used to think it was a memory problem since I only had 128M but I'm getting the same thing with 1G.

???

gruntbuggly
08-15-2004, 03:12 AM
I reckon your media player is trying to use a hardware-accelerated video driver, but you have acceleration switched off in XF86Config-4, or it may even be the case that your graphics card driver doesn't do hardware acceleration.

If you could tell the media player to show video via 'x11' rather than 'xv' then provided my suspicions are right, that should solve the problem. (For the mplayer application this is done by 'mplayer -vo x11 filename'.)

dtz
08-15-2004, 07:31 AM
I think you were right. I had to futz with mozplugger and one of the things I changed was x11 before xv. I'm awful with hardware but I thought my card (ATI Rage XL 8MB PCI) did acceleration. I tried to find someway to enable it but ended up messing up my display for the last hour. :( But things are fine now.

Thanks for you help!