PDA

View Full Version : sound works on live cd but not on hd install

jozien
08-15-2004, 05:44 AM
I am using knoppix 3.4 live cd, using cheatcodes "knoppix26 lang=us alsa" and sound works.
XMMS works playing .wav files.
I installed 3.4 to my hd and sound does'nt work.
Being new to this list, prehaps this has been answered. Any help would be appreciated.

jozien

markb
08-15-2004, 01:39 PM
May be too obvious, but make sure you click on the kmix icon in the bottom right and turn on sound (second button from left). It defaults to off at each boot.

Kram
08-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Kmix, as already said, and open aumix from multimedia>sound. They both have an influence on sound production.

CrashedAgain
08-21-2004, 03:19 PM
What type of HD install? What sound doesn't work? Are you having trouble with xmms? Or not getting the beeps when windows open & close?
You may need xmms-arts plugin. Even though you are use alsa, KDE will start the arts daemon when it wants to & artsd interferens with xmms.
The girls voicest startup sound (/usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg) isn't activated in HD install except Knoppix type install. but it makes a good test sample sound.
To get system sounds you have to active sounds in KDE control Center then edit the hidden file /home/knoppix/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc to be all three entries=true.

jozien
08-22-2004, 05:03 AM
I re-installed knoppix 3.4 to the hd and now I have sound. Don't know what I did different.
I also use the 2.4 kernel

jozien