PDA

View Full Version : Starting Knoppix live CD - stalls to blank screen

basa
08-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Hi .. I'm a complete newbie both here and with Knoppix (well Linux in general) :oops:

I downloaded Knoppix V 3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso and burned to CD.

Booting from CD runs Knoppix through initialisation, recognition of hardware up to the point where I assume the Knoppix GUI should appear.

All I get is a quick message at the bottom of the boot screen which mentions "terminating" before a blank screen appears (no cursor).

The CD continues for maybe 30 secs then all activity anywhere stops. :roll:

Any ideas - bad download ? (took me 5hrs 40mins on a 35KB/s connection !!) so I don't wanna go there again :shock:

pulsar
08-15-2004, 06:24 PM
Type 'knoppix testcd' in the bootscreen and hit enter to check the cd image quality. If it's ok use other cheatcodes. 'knoppix nodma', knoppix failsave' etc..., see cheatcodes list.

basa
08-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Type 'knoppix testcd' in the bootscreen and hit enter to check the cd image quality. If it's ok use other cheatcodes. 'knoppix nodma', knoppix failsave' etc..., see cheatcodes list.

Thx for reply....but problem is exactly where do I type 'knoppix testcd' ??

After I hit 'enter' to start the install, the prog runs through all the checks and hardware detection, but then without a pause the screen goes to blank black with no cursor !! :shock:

pulsar
08-16-2004, 05:21 PM
It's the first screen wich comes up. Below left in the screen you see boot: ..... Type in after that. Then press enter. (the cd check wil take a few minutes).

pulsar
08-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Below is a link to a page of the knoppix tutorial for newb. This might help you.
http://www.eleli.de/knoppix/docs/tutorial/english/knoppix_boot_details.html

basa
08-18-2004, 09:49 AM
OK ran the 'knoppix testcd' code and it reported 'Everything seems OK'. It still runs on to black blank screen with no cursor.

Checked the tutorial and cheat codes but nothing I can see relates to my problem :?

Any advice as to what to do next - which cheat code ?? :oops:

pulsar
08-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Try these: 'knoppix nodma', 'knoppix noapic', knoppix failsave'.

basa
08-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Try these: 'knoppix nodma', 'knoppix noapic', knoppix failsave'.

None of those worked - same blank screen :?

There is an error message (always was) at the very end of the boot process, but it disappears before I can read it and 'scroll lock' won't halt the boot at that point. :(