PDA

View Full Version : knoppix plural / collective noun?

outanet
08-15-2004, 02:39 PM
I have found myself in the unlikly position of an IT mentor in a multicultural center in my city.
I have been using Knoppix to teach office skills, simple web design & ftp with basic network theory and hardware maintainance.
I love to use knoppix, as it just works and there is no fear of newbie pc murder, plus I see myself in a good position to evangelise Linux to people who cannot afford M$ licences!

my somewhat jovial question is this.

what do you call a collection of knoppix disks / os's or networked pcs?

one knoppic, two knoppixis (golumn)
is it one knoppix, two knoppiae?

indeed should my 2 year collection of old disks be reffered to as a plethera of knoppiae

I think it could be important as the interest grows.

:roll:

user unknown
08-15-2004, 03:22 PM
In german, I would say: 1 knoppix, 2 knoppixe
But since the name is in some way derived from unix, I would look at this.
Isn't it 1 unix, 2 unixes?
And therefore knoppixes.

arkaine23
08-15-2004, 06:19 PM
The plural of Unix is Unices, which would make it Knoppices if you follow that same pattern.

CrashedAgain
08-16-2004, 03:32 AM
what do you call a collection of knoppix disks / os's or networked pcs?

one knoppic, two knoppixis (golumn)
is it one knoppix, two knoppiae?

indeed should my 2 year collection of old disks be reffered to as a plethera of knoppiae

I think it could be important as the interest grows.

:roll:

Plethora of knoppiae??
Cool term but unfortunately the correct pluralization for a collection of knoppix disks is.....disks.
Disk is the noun which is pluralized, knoppix is an merely an adjective. I cannot really visualize where knoppix would be used as a noun. For instance, you do not have a knoppix (noun). You have a knoppix operating system (adjective).
Bummer.

user unknown
08-16-2004, 06:37 AM
'Knoppix' is a proper noun, and eo ipso: a noun.
A Knoppix-OS is like a Mercedes-Caravan and a Knoppix-disk is like an Addidas-shoe.

You wouldn't say: 'This is my third knoppix-os', but 'my third knoppix'.
Like 'your second Mercedes'.
I bought 20 Knoppices for the pupil in my course.

I vote for 'knoppices' to indicate the close neighbourship to unices.
But do you call it 'linuces' too?
:?

j.drake
08-16-2004, 07:01 AM
'Knoppix' is a proper noun, and eo ipso: a noun.
A Knoppix-OS is like a Mercedes-Caravan and a Knoppix-disk is like an Addidas-shoe..

But "Adidas" come in pairs. If you lost the left one, wouldn't the remaining right one be an "Adida"? :wink: Or, perhaps if it's a Latin root, perhaps the pair should rightfully be "Adida", and the remaining shoe an "Adidum"

jd

outanet
11-30-2004, 04:23 AM
Plethora of knoppiae??
Cool term but unfortunately the correct pluralization for a collection of knoppix disks is.....disks.
Disk is the noun which is pluralized, knoppix is an merely an adjective. I cannot really visualize where knoppix would be used as a noun. For instance, you do not have a knoppix (noun). You have a knoppix operating system (adjective).
Bummer.

I dont think i agree completly.
I am a "human being", therefore "human", we are all "humans", not just "beings".

ok, well what can a person who uses knoppix called?
a person who works in a garden is a gardener, but i guess i dont come close to being a knopper.
then again, thinking about it, i could be a rammer.... i work in a ram environment!

user unknown
11-30-2004, 10:03 PM
I believe Adidas is a artifact, made from 'Adi Daschner', the founder of the buisiness, and not from something latin (while 'nike' is the greek goddess of success - afaik, and therefore not spelled english/ american, but 'neeka').

A pair of Adidas, and a single Adidas.

The knoppix-user might be:
Knoppicaner.
Knoppinist.
Knoppixer.
Knoppophilic.

Or simply a Knop. :)

While windows-users are simply called: idiots :)

chris-harry
12-01-2004, 05:43 AM
now this is the time to make up names, and if it sounds cool, it will stick... when i had trouble thats what i do...

eg. 1= knoppix, 2=knoppixs, 3=ya mum, 4=um... , 5=hello, etc... :D

chris-harry
12-01-2004, 05:48 AM
Knop that sounds alot like nob... and if you have a discusting minde... ehehehe... :D well... lets keep this innocent

user unknown
12-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Knop that sounds alot like nob...
Or like a snob.

Are we knobistic?

chris-harry
12-04-2004, 09:21 AM
yeah... you would hate it if some rich snobby nobs came over and you said... "Our system runs on snobs, i mean rich snobs, i mean knobs, i mean... aarrgh... this is a hold UP!!! *pulls out guns*"... man, that would be a difficalt situation..

outanet
12-13-2004, 10:32 AM
yeah... you would hate it if some rich snobby nobs came over and you said... "Our system runs on snobs, i mean rich snobs, i mean knobs, i mean... aarrgh... this is a hold UP!!! *pulls out guns*"... man, that would be a difficalt situation..

ok Chris, concider me a friendly voice, ....... drink 6 cups of coffee per day maximum, dont make it so strong infact substitute it for chocolate, start chewing gum... slowly... and try to breathe more deeply.
nobody is out to get you, and the internet is *NOT* your only friend or creative outlet!
Lastly, buy a tent.

Take Care Buddy!

chris-harry
12-20-2004, 02:02 PM
:D.... hehe... a tent... weee

cannonfodder
12-23-2004, 11:45 PM
XD outanet a winner is you...

my quality contribution to this thread:

a collection of outdated knoppix cd's.....

plastic