PDA

View Full Version : KDE 3.3 - Sid/Unstable

monkymind
08-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Anyone else upgraded KDE to 3.3?

Every KDE upgrade I do the same dumb thing - forget to upgrade KDM too! (End up wondering why I can't log back in :cry: - and then remember to apt-get install -u kdm via console and woohoo!)

Other quirks are :-
Icons - have decided to line up in a different order :? again!
My Konqueror profiles, window size and placement were ignored. I ended up messing around with the new [Advanced] [Special Window Settings] and have Webbrowser, filemanager and Desktop Drives back to normal.

Other than the above "personal settings" surprises - it's running "very" smoothly :D

Should be interesting to track down the new features and improvements in the next few days.

Cheers
rob

ZeroKun
08-15-2004, 06:04 PM
From what I saw in the changelog it sounds nice, but ill just wait til knoppix has it. If its not broken, dont fix it, if it is just let someone else do the work :)

monkymind
08-16-2004, 03:10 AM
So far nothing but good impressions. Definitely worth the upgrade.

With KDE 3.2.3 - konqueror would occasionly start using +50% CPU while doing nothing and for no apparent reason. Never did track down what caused it (closing and reopening konqueror always fixed it!?)

The initial problems I had with the upgrade were all due to my sloppy after midnight concentration and a very non-standard desktop configuration/layout.

Speed, stability, performance = excellent so far!

Cheers
rob
PS read someone was experiencing some problems running it with 2.4.xx kernel.

Stealth870
08-20-2004, 10:33 PM
How do I update to KDE 3.3 final release? I tried updating in apt-get but its still in 3.2. And I dont want a beta/unstable version...

Hayabusa
08-24-2004, 03:24 AM
Much like the opriginal writer of this post I am using Sid/Unstable and upgraded to KDE 3.3. However after the upgrade for some odd reason KDM abjectly refuses to recogize the keyboard I have. Bios recognizes, it is recognized system wide as in order to get KDE up I have to log into the console and then "startx". Then the keyboard works fine in KDE, but something seems foobared with KDMs new version. Anyone else have this problem?

Oh and to the last person who asked about getting stable KDE, might take a while, usually the release passes through unstable, then into testing, then to stable. IMHO Sid/unstable is perfectly fine for a home computer, it may carry the label of "unstable" but I haven't had any major crashes with it. If you're running a production server yeah I'd advise you to stick to stable, but for a home desktop you're not going to do yourself wrong by going with unstable, and you'll get the latest releases as they become availble to the apt repository.

Markus
08-24-2004, 08:07 AM
Much like the opriginal writer of this post I am using Sid/Unstable and upgraded to KDE 3.3. However after the upgrade for some odd reason KDM abjectly refuses to recogize the keyboard I have. Bios recognizes, it is recognized system wide as in order to get KDE up I have to log into the console and then "startx". Then the keyboard works fine in KDE, but something seems foobared with KDMs new version. Anyone else have this problem? I've had this happen twice, but IIRC it was the first two times booting up the new KDM so I just wrote it off to some new config being generated. Does it happen every time for you? Perhaps just swicht to GDM.
What I dislike most about KDE 3.3 is that I can't find a way to adjust the vertical grid size for desktop icons. Perhaps I just didn't look in the right place though. Anyone?

OT: Another weird thing is this:

markus@fujibox:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
3.1 I thought Sarge was getting to be called 3.1 and I've always ran unstable/experimental

champagnemojo
08-24-2004, 12:21 PM
OT: Another weird thing is this:

markus@fujibox:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
3.1 I thought Sarge was getting to be called 3.1 and I've always ran unstable/experimental

True. But that file doesn't seem to get changed as you upgrade from sarge to sid. Or at least mine haven't. :)

Markus
08-24-2004, 05:33 PM
But the file did get upgraded: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4 Jul 26 21:03 /etc/debian_version
And "unstable/experimental" was the output before the upgrade. Or did you mean that sarge and sid share the same file?
Hmm, not exactly a KDE problem :)

champagnemojo
08-25-2004, 03:14 AM
But the file did get upgraded: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4 Jul 26 21:03 /etc/debian_version
And "unstable/experimental" was the output before the upgrade. Or did you mean that sarge and sid share the same file?
Hmm, not exactly a KDE problem :)

No :lol: I was just confused...a common occurrence for me. It does seem to change after a dist-upgrade. On my latest debian install I've done plenty of upgrades, but not actually run a dist-upgrade and it still says 3.1. On another partition I have another debian sarge install that I ran dist-upgrade on to get the latest stuff and it outputs testing/unstable.

Markus
08-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Great! Now you confused me too :)

BTW, I was wrong about the keyboard problem. It didn't get detected after a shutdown and boot, only after a reboot. OTOH I think I got it fixed by adding ServerVTs=-7 to /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc:
[X-*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=false
AllowRootLogin=false
AllowShutdown=None
AutoReLogin=false
Reset=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xreset
Session=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession
Setup=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup
Startup=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xstartup
ServerVTs=-7

Stealth870
08-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Uh, so what exactly do you do for upgrading? And why is the final 3.3 still called unstable?

Hayabusa
08-26-2004, 01:13 AM
/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc fix didn;t work. at least it worked halfway. Edited the file appended the line mentioned. started KDM forma console and could type in it, upon a reboot I could once again NOT tpye into KDM. Seems kinda backwards to me to have to use GDM or something else to get KDE to boot up. I've read the cross-threaded bugs on this until i about went crosseyed, for now I'll just console login then startx.
====================================

As for Stealth's question...
Knoppix is based on the Debian distribution of Linux. Debian comes in 3 "flavors"

1.) Stable (aka Woody)
2.) Testing (aka Sarge) [Knoppix's default setting)
3.) Unstable (aka Sid)

When a new version of any program nis released it first goes into Unstable. After sufficient time in Unstable "pool" where bugs are located/fixed and the program is tweaked, the progam then can enter the Testing "pool". After sufficient time in Testing where more bugs are quashed and further teaking is done the package may then be moved to the "stable pool" (there's more criteria than this involved but this is the simple version).

since KDE 3.3 was just released it's now part of the Unstable "pool". If you're a desktop user and you always want to have the latest release version of programs you'll want to "upgrade" to unstable or add unstable apt-sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list.

The reason KDE is labeled as "unstable" is because it has not undergone the VERY rigorous Debian intitation process of going through unstable to Testing to Stable.

That's not to say that KDE 3.3 for Debian is unstable. Just that it's a new release and hasn't been tweaked to run specifially for Debian and the various architectures Debian supprts.

Unstable is a perfectly acceptable "flavor" for a desktop operating System. So is Testing, though you'll wait a little longer for the newest releases to come down the pike.

Stable programs for Debian are well behind the latest releases (I think Debian Stable uses KDE 2.2). Stable is good if you're running a mission-critical server and are willing to trade off the latest version of a program for an older version that is rock solid by Debian standards.

Stealth870
08-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Oh....so I have to add the apt-source for the "Sid" files so that I can apt-get it, since its not as "Woody" or "Sarge" yet? Is there a command I can just type, to override the use of d/ling only Sarge and Woody files, so that I can install it? like:

apt-get install kde3.3 -sid or something?

Markus
08-26-2004, 05:49 PM
/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc fix didn;t work. at least it worked halfway. Edited the file appended the line mentioned. started KDM forma console and could type in it, upon a reboot I could once again NOT tpye into KDM. Seems kinda backwards to me to have to use GDM or something else to get KDE to boot up. I've read the cross-threaded bugs on this until i about went crosseyed, for now I'll just console login then startx.
That's unfortunate as it worked for me. Perhaps there's something different in Kanotix. FYI this thread is where I got the tip: http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2004/08/msg00345.html

Hayabusa
08-27-2004, 08:49 PM
if you don;t feel like a flull blow upgrade to the unstable distribution you can mix testing and unstable packes. in your case if you want to keep your distributions as testing but install the latest KDE which is currwently in unstable you could add some unstable sources to you /etc/apt/sources.list. here are the unstable sources I have listed in mine:

# Unstable
deb http://debian.tu-bs.de/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-US.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable non-US/main non-US/non-free

if you add those lines to you /etc/apt/sources.list file after an apt-get update to install the laterst version of kde (the quick and bloated way) you could apt-get install kde/unstable

the /unstable flag after the package indicates you want to override your defualt level of testing for that package and use packages in unstable for that particular program.