PDA

View Full Version : the Good, the Bad and the downright Ugly

nishtya
08-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Cuddles, Good News! I got the i2c drivers working and therefore lm-sensors in Kanotix BH7a. The bad news, it took a total reinstall first after I messed with it so bad yesterday. The ugly: I am not all that sure how I did it. Hmmm, add scary: will my motherboard burst into flame :shock:

Cuddles
08-16-2004, 03:47 PM
nishtya,

I am not sure on this, so don't blame me if it does, but, I don't think your motherboard is going to burst into flames -=- I have heard of it, but that was only upon reading something in controlling the RPM's of your fans - somewhere, I read that you can test your fans for speed control, I think it was in trying to research the i2c issue - it stated it was going to attempt to stop all fans on the system, wait about 5 seconds, and then start each one in turn - and then had a BIG WARNING, that stated that you should manually check to ensure that the fans have actually restarted... I aborted the program at that point - I don't want the fan on my CPU not to work... I had read that in the first attempts of getting a processor above the gigahertz speed, that they didn't have proper cooling, and yes, the chip heated up enough to "flame up", torched the complete system, or so I heard.... That CPU fan is mighty important now-a-days....

As for i2c and lmsensors, mine was "pretty much" easy - i2c and lm_sensors documentation all stated that you don't want, need, or should NEVER install i2c and the lm_sensors code into a kernel 2.5 or higher -=- So, my guess is, we both figured out how to get the "internal" i2c code running, and then trying to get lm_sensors to "link" to it... Maybe you should watch, and confirm, that the "monitors" are correct -=- I've been staring at my temps whenever I get a chance, and still need to "confirm" the temps are right with my BIOS... I also want to get the "red-line" alarms that are set in my BIOS, into GKrellm - which I can get, and confirm the next time I boot...

I really DO like having my CPU and CASE temps, and CPU fan RPM's on a display again - for a while I was getting worried not being able to see them as I did in v3.3 -=- I was starting to wonder if I was "scortching" my CPU all this time...

As for your re-install -=- you were considering having to do that anyway, with all the tinkering you did with the modem issue... I was lucky, modem was easy, installs were easy, and getting everything I had installed in v3.3 into v3.4 wasn't that hard, my biggest hurdle was the i2c, after the NVidia kernel compile, and I didn't want to "tempt fate" by doing another compile just to get i2c running... I was lucky, I think it was compiled in, just needed to get "activated", thats all...

So, now that you have things running, what are you going to do with all that time you have now, and what are you going to do for any excitement???? ( you being the only one I know to have done as many kernel compiles, and still lived to tell about it ) [giggle]

Ms. Cuddles

nishtya
08-17-2004, 01:31 AM
Hiya Cuddles, oh sister linuxer of mine :D well, you know I was so close to a kernel recompile, weren't you? LOL anyhow, I don't know what did it for sure because after the desperation of the reinstall (btw, that was AFTER the reinstall over the tty0 issue) I figured, oh well, What the Hell? I just stuck i2c_sensor in on the modules configure file, then dug up the lmsensors detect tucked away in bin, then I removed the i2c_sensor and geez, everything worked. I have no idea why. I don't care 8)

But it was a little hairier than I care for these days. Nobody has heard from me because I was just running my BH4 and didn't have any probs except for KDE upgrades (gee, no s u r p r i s e there :shock: )

But you know, no doubt about it, upgrading a debian system takes years off your life. I will swear to that, rilly I will :) I still have all my kernel compiling notes sitting next to my computer - no, they were covered in plastic and spared the coffee flood of 2004. But I rather not look at them again :wink: