PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard German QWERTZ in system terminals,Want US QWERTY

pannette
08-16-2004, 03:06 AM
I've found a couple of threads discussing this problem, but mine is slightly different. I chose the first of the three install options (beginner?) and it's mostly working very well. I had to change the keyboard and language for KDE and Mozilla. They're fine now.

But when I use a system terminal (ctrl-alt F1, for example), the keyboard is German. The other discussions I've read had several suggestions, and I think i've tried them all. I was sure that editing /etc/sysconfig/i18n would do the trick. Unfortunately, every time I boot, this gets changed back to the de_DE... stuff. When I tryto reconfigure locales, I get this:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = "de",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "de_DE@euro"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Generating locales...
en_US.ISO-8859-1... done

Trying to purge locales gives much the same.

I suspect that the difference in whether a particular "fix" works depends on which type of install was done. I hope someone has a fix or workaround for this.

Patrick

CrashedAgain
08-16-2004, 05:57 AM
Try edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. There is a setting for default lang in it. I'm not sure if beginner install uses this autoconfig or not; if not, somebody please post what it does use.

PS: I'm assuming you have lang=en or lang=us added as a bootcode in lilo.conf. bootcodes are in the 'append=' line but check also the rest of the file, sometimes if you repeat them in the append line it will generate an error.

pannette
08-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Try edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. There is a setting for default lang in it. I'm not sure if beginner install uses this autoconfig or not; if not, somebody please post what it does use.

PS: I'm assuming you have lang=en or lang=us added as a bootcode in lilo.conf. bootcodes are in the 'append=' line but check also the rest of the file, sometimes if you repeat them in the append line it will generate an error.

Thanks, CrashedAgain :D In knoppix-autoconfig in the first (non-comment) line after ### localization I changed LANGUAGE="de" to LANGUAGE="en" and now have the correct keyboard after rebooting.

I'm using GRUB instead of lilo, and haven't yet researched entering command lines for the boot process. So much to learn!