PDA

View Full Version : Left field hardware question

VeeDubb
03-19-2003, 09:34 PM
I doubt anybody herecan help, but you've all been so helpfull with everything else, I'll give it a try.

I have a PocketPC runnig the standard PocketPC2002 OS. I realize that syncing the way I did in windows is nie on impossible, but I'd like to get network through the sync cable. That would allow me to everything I care about as far as syncing, but I don't even know where to start. I'm sure this is possible, but Ihaven't got a clue.

At one point there was a program at Source Forge called SynCE for just this task, but it apears to be gone. Any sugestions welcome.

rickenbacherus
03-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Where on the PC does this 'sync' cable connect? I have never seen one.

lars_g
03-19-2003, 10:12 PM
Look Here:

http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/

VeeDubb
03-19-2003, 10:12 PM
It's USB.

rickenbacherus
03-19-2003, 11:02 PM
Looks like Lars hooked you up- If you've installed Knoppix to your hard drive you should be able to get the .deb's they recommend. Let us know how it goes eh?

VeeDubb
03-20-2003, 10:25 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! When I couldn't find SynCE anymore I was crushed. I Thought I was SOL. You saved me. thank you SO MUCH!

VeeDubb
03-20-2003, 11:16 AM
This install is still WAY TOO complex for the linux noob but I'm sure I'l get it eventualy. Any tips beyond the directions on the website? If it matter's i'm useing a Dell Axim X5

rickenbacherus
03-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Get the .debs - they are very easy to install. In fact if you're using KDE then you could use KPackage manager. Personally I prefer to use Midnight Commander. Open a term, become root, and type mc Navigate to where you saved your packages, open it up (with <enter>) move to 'install' and hit enter again. If you don't know which version of Debian you are running- open a term and type
cd /etc
mcedit debian_version

That will tell you which .debs to get. It's also very easy to compile from source. That is those files labled 'tar.bz' & 'tar.gz'. Post back if you need further assistance.