PDA

View Full Version : Testing any Sound in Knoppix?

gopikrish
08-18-2004, 10:14 AM
I booted knoppix from CD atlast.Any ideas how to play any sound to test if my sound is working? Because there is a sound speaker at the bottom right of the screen and I am able to adjust the volume from 0 to 100. But when I played an adventure game no sound was played.But when I rebooted knoppix a lady spoke and I was able to hear.So any ideas are welcome.Thanks.

mzilikazi
08-18-2004, 01:23 PM
There may or may not be some KDE tool for this (it seems to have one for everything) but I would simply use SOX.

Open up a terminal and get root.

su
updatedb
locate *.wav
play /some/file.wav

SOX should either spit an error at you or play the sound. If it works as root then try it as user.

champagnemojo
08-18-2004, 01:59 PM
There are lotsa nice little sounds in /usr/share/sounds that you can use to test it. If you use the alsa cheatcode you should be able to test with the aplay command too. And make sure that PCM is turned up as well as the main.

CrashedAgain
08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
The 'lady speaking' is /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg. If you use konqueror to navigate to it & click on it, it should play...probably opening xmms then play. Post back if it doesn't work. Also, there should be sounds when you stop start applications but you may have to set up:
1. Enable sound system in control center.
2. Enable all sounds on all applications on the next tab.
3. Change the hidden file /home/knoppix/.kde/share/config/notifyrc to read 'true' for all three lines.