PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix on a debian-knoppix (?) partition

NamShub
03-20-2003, 04:54 AM
Hi

I was wondering if is possible to install knoppix on top of my existing debian partition (installed from knoppix)

I ask because my old installation could never recognize my sound card and I could never get it to work manually. I would just like to "update" my partition with a working sound card (sound works with 3.2 cd)

Yea yea, I know I should just hack my way around to get sound working but I've did everything I could (not much, but still...) and never got anything working.

I guess what I want is not exactly to reinstall a new knoppix but "repair" my debian with this latest CD... If all come to worse I will just reinstall but I'd like to be sure I can save my /home directory first...

Oh and I have another question... how do I add knoppix/debian to grub? I could not find bzImage anywhere is there an other place where my grub.conf file should point to?

Thanks for your time...

rickenbacherus
03-20-2003, 09:55 PM
I was wondering if is possible to install knoppix on top of my existing debian partition (installed from knoppix)

why not?

I'd like to be sure I can save my /home directory first...

copy it to another location.

how do I add knoppix/debian to grub?

Sorry - I don't know grub

RockMumbles
03-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Do you already have grub on your computer?

If so here is an example from my Libranet /boot/grub/menu.lst file
(snip)
title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.18
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18 root=/dev/hda7 ro hdd=scsi hdc=scsi
savedefault

Note: grub uses it's own syntax for your hd look at the root entry, my root device is /dev/hda7 note grub calls that hd0,6. For a knoppix install your kernel entry will be /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs the hdd=scsi and hdc=scsi entries are for scsi emulation of my cd-rom and cd-rw.

HTH

rock