PDA

View Full Version : In Trouble. boots up then I have a monitor problem , help

NEO123
08-20-2004, 01:07 PM
I recently bought Knoppix 3.4 off of ebay. I put it in a boot-up I get loads of the scrolly messages, then my monitor displays a message saying frequency out of range.

Its a 17" LCD, My grpahics CaRd is a Radeon 9200SE, What can I do????
Please Help Me Because I've always wanted to use Knoppix.

j.drake
08-20-2004, 03:08 PM
I would try booting with some of the cheatcodes. See http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes Many people who have problems with video find that a cheatcode to enable a basic or specific configuration solves their problem.

For example,

knoppix vga=normal No-framebuffer mode, but X

failsafe
Boot with (almost) no hardware detection

Try using the search box at the top of the page, and see if anyone has reported similar problems and solutions. You might just start by typing in the model number of your graphics card. You may get lucky and find a solution. Otherwise, search with terms like radeon, boot, "out of range", maybe even 3.4 (although you'll eliminate a solution that someone found for 3.3 or earlier).

Knoppix doesn't know what kind of monitor you have, so I doubt seriously that it's an issue, unless there's something special that your Radeon needs for talking to that monitor under Linux. If all else fails, you might consider Googling for Radeon linux drivers and installation instructions, although even if you find it, it won't do you any good within the context of running from live CD.

Good luck, and welcome

jd

NEO123
08-20-2004, 07:02 PM
So How do I even enter those, nothing seems to be editable on the screen, It just does its scrolly thingy then goes out of range

j.drake
08-20-2004, 07:36 PM
When you put in the disk & restart, it should come up on a boot screen that says Knoppix, and have a cursor on the last line to enter cheatcodes. It should pause momentarily to allow entry, and then continue autodetecting with default values if none are entered.

I had assumed that the problems arose after that point, because that's when the autodetection kicks in. If you aren't even getting to that point, I'd guess that you have either a bad disk or a hardware issue. At any rate, I'm not competent to help you with that.

If a bad disk, you do realize that you can download and burn your own copy for free, right?

jd

NEO123
08-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Yes I am Aware I can Download It, I do get to that point
Thanks Ill let you know what happens