PDA

View Full Version : I can't backup anything - i need to login as root?

johnvixen
08-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Sweet jesus!
My HD filesystem is currupt and all i want to do is transfer 1 SQL database onto CD. However the SQL database that i want has a padlock on it and when i try to do anything with it, it says 'you do not have enough permissions to read'.
All the files are there! when i boot knoppix it finds everything like a dream but just on some files it has this padlock.
Fair enough! however how the hell can i login as Root to backup this file?
I know my root username and password.
That's all I want to do..... :roll:

j.drake
08-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Easy, calm down.

I'm assuming from the number of posts under your name and the nature of your question that your're new to Knoppix, so if my comments appear to assume that you know nothing, please don't be insulted. If you are running from Knoppix from CD, be aware that all drives are set to be read only by default. You get that error when you try to write to a drive what is read only. It has nothing to do with root. For any given drive on your desktop, right click, properties, third tab, uncheck read only, OK, right click the drive again, unmount, double click the drive again to remount. Don't ask me why you have to unmount and remount, I don't know, you just do. When you're ready to copy to CD, the program you want is K3B.

Hopefully, this will get you to where you need to be to do what you want to do from the graphical desktop. If not, then yes, you can issue commands from the console, and you may have to do some of them as root.

HTH
jd

johnvixen
08-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions but no luck.
Any files that i downloaded under Redhat 9 have also padlocks on them.

Hug It
08-21-2004, 12:36 AM
What happens if you open up a terminal and copy it off as root?

shah
08-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Get this "run/open as root service menu". It save your time.
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/download.php?content=11227&id=1

briang
09-19-2004, 10:04 AM
I was just having a similar problem. Here's how I gained full access to my other partictions in knoppix.

1) open a terminal window.

2) su

-- no password is needed

3) /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/konq*

this should open knoqueror in root mode.

4)to get to my other particion I typed:
/mnt/hda2

in the location text box

I hope this works for you. There may be an easier way, but this worked for me.