PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

Fred666
08-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi all

I have tried various flavours of Linux - Xandros, Mandrake 10, Debian etc and all have either not registered my USB MODEM, or in the case of Xandros have seen it but won't use it to connect to the net.

Then I download Knoppix Live CD - Volia! USB MODEM detected and connection to the net established without giving any details of my Telewest user name and password!

How is this possible??

How can the live cd access the net and MODEM without me providing details?

I would dearly love to know, because if I can use Knoppix on a regular basis, the XP becomes a Playstation (just for games) - All I need to do is inststall to HDD, get a firewall sorted out and Internet connection sharing enabled and I'm sorted.

I must know how Knoppix can know my MODEM and net details though.

Please help

Cuddles
08-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Then I download Knoppix Live CD - Volia! USB MODEM detected and connection to the net established without giving any details of my Telewest user name and password!

How is this possible??

How can the live cd access the net and MODEM without me providing details?

I would dearly love to know, because if I can use Knoppix on a regular basis, the XP becomes a Playstation (just for games)

I must know how Knoppix can know my MODEM and net details though.
Hmmmm, good question...
If I was going to make a guess, I would say the modem is a popular one, and thus, has wonderful support provided within Knoppix ( as far as the modem is concerned ).

As for the login information, username and password, I am clueless on that one. I know, for my dialup connection, that I had to "jump through hoops", so to speak, in Windows, to get DUN working, with all the settings... and in Knoppix, KPPP is running in a default configuration - all I needed to provide it was the access phone number, account, and password... But, I find it interesting that you didn't need to provide any of that information to get a connection. ( ? )

All I need to do is inststall to HDD, get a firewall sorted out and Internet connection sharing enabled and I'm sorted.
Well, if you really want to hard drive install, you might want to look at the FAQ's here on the forums, any topics on Poor Man's Install, complete hard drive install, and, depending on your version of Knoppix, version 3.4 is the current ( it has different install options; Debian, Beginner, etc... )

As for firewalls, you can search this forum for what other people prefer, and run, or do a Google search... I run GuardDog, its real easy, and just a simple apt-get install to download, configure, and begin running...

Please help
I hope that I did,
Ms. Cuddles

Markus
08-25-2004, 08:19 PM
If it's a USB modem the details are probably in it. If you set it up in Windows via a browser you probably saved them on the modem.

Cuddles
08-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Hmmmmm,

That makes sense Markus, possibly has some Flash ROM, to hold configs, and once a OS gains access to the device, it just took it from there, and made the connection...

For a while there, I thought they had a "demon possesed" modem, or something :wink:

Ms. Cuddles