PDA

View Full Version : Broadcom Netxtreme Gigabit

Hug It
08-20-2004, 11:39 PM
I've been searching Google and this forum for a few days now and have tried everything I've come accross. I have an HP D530 desktop and an HP N620c laptop that both have the Broadcom Netxtreme Gigabit NIC. On the laptop, I boot to knoppix 3.4 and everything works great but on the desktop I can not get network access.

It does recongnize it as eth0 but it uses the tg3 module (which it does on my laptop also). It will not pull an address from DHCP, even when I run netcardconfig it gives me an operation failed.

I downloaded the driver source from broadcom (v. 7-3-5), unpacked it and did a make. Then I rmmod tg3 and insmod bcm5700.o, netcardconfig. Still not working.

Does anyone have any other ideas? The reason I'm working on it so much is that we have about 100 of these same machines here and I'd really like to have Knoppix as a tool in my arsenal.

Thanks!

Hug It
08-24-2004, 05:48 PM
An update:

If I set all the network information manually I am able to get online. So it appears as though it's just DHCP and just for the desktop model.

helpdeskdan
09-10-2004, 05:41 PM
I also have a large amount of computers with that card in. However, I was using Phlak which fails 'make.' It is good to know you made it work in Knoppix - I'll try that next.