PDA

View Full Version : newbie: Partition Image reliable for NTFS?

krikke
08-22-2004, 10:01 AM
Just started poking around in Knoppix. I like what I see so far.
Q: Can I use Knoppix's Partition Image to store my WindowsXP boot partition (NTFS) onto a FAT partition, and assume I can restore it later to the original partition?

krikke

champagnemojo
08-24-2004, 01:36 AM
The Partimage site says this:

The NTFS (Windows NT File System) is currently not fully supported: this means you will be able to save an NTFS partition if system files are not very fragmented, and if system files are not compressed. In this case, you will be able to save the partition into an image file, and you will be able to restore it after. If there is a problem when saving, an error message will be shown and you won't be able to continue. If you have successfully saved an NTFS NTFS partition, you shouldn't have problems as you restore it (except in the case of bugs). Then the best way is to try to save a partition to know if it is possible. If not, try to defragment it with diskeeper or another tool, and try to saving the partition again.

But according to what I've seen NTFS actually works well for most people in partimage. So it won't hurt to try it. And yes, you can store it on your FAT partition.

Incubii
08-27-2004, 02:43 PM
i use partimage all the time with NTFS partitions and have not had one problem with it. has worked 100% of the time in the 50 or so different machines ive imaged with it. Backing up and Restoring both work fine. And yeah you can save to FAT32.

krikke
08-27-2004, 02:56 PM
OK, thanks. I've succesfully backed up the boot drives of two machines. Now I trust I can restore them if need be...

firebyrd10
08-28-2004, 12:13 AM
It doesn't matter the file sysem as it is a RAW read and write. Because of which you might want to zip the file up.

use this to do it

dd if=/dev/hda(or other drive) | gzip -(1 through 8 with 1 being fastest and 8 having best compresion, --fast =1 --best =8) -c | dd of=~/sambabu/hda.img.gz
changing files and folders as desired. (I sent it over to a windows computer)

then to put it back run

xcat ~/sambabu/hda.img.gz | dd of=/dev/hda
once again changing things as desired.

krikke
09-07-2004, 01:46 PM
So I had the partimage files (created from my C: NTFS partition) on a FAT32 partition as pi.gz.000 and pi.gz.001. When restoring my 7 GBs, it fails after about 2 GB. Great, just what I needed :evil:
I had defragged prior to backup.
This is Knoppix 3.4-2004-05-17.

firebyrd10
09-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Hmm, the file size limitation of fat, hadn't crossed my mine at the time.

Did you split the files before or after you zipped them?
If after then you can still save them.

krikke
09-08-2004, 10:50 AM
partimage splitted the file for me when I did the backup. It has an (preselected) option of maximum file size.
I also tried combining those partimage files by connecting the external drive to another WinXP comp, and
copy/B pi.gz.000+pi.gz.001 pi.gz
where the result is on an NTFS partition.
But then, Knoppix's Ark says it fails to extract the archive, and partimage also fails when trying to restore from it.

I'm in serious trouble now, it seems.
:?

champagnemojo
09-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Yikes :? Sorry to hear that krikke. Perhaps I downplayed how non-foolproof such an action can ever be. You should always back everything important up before doing anything with your partitions and such. Does it give any error messages when it fails?

krikke
09-10-2004, 07:04 AM
No specific error message. It just says it fails.

rcook
09-10-2004, 04:18 PM
The approach by Firebyrd10 is recommended by the forensic analyis people. Storage on a fat32 is problematic, because of file size restrictions. I have used the dd | gzip >file.gz sucessfully to image a NTFS partition onto a linux partition, but have experienced grief when trying to move, split transfer the resulting file to a windows partition: fat or ntfs.

krikke
09-10-2004, 05:38 PM
Trying to understand this, so I'd get it to work next time. You're not using partimage, but the dd command. Why? Can that manage boot drives?
Does firebyrd10 agree that you'd better have a linux partition for the backup file, instead of FAT32/NTFS?

firebyrd10
09-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Trying to understand this, so I'd get it to work next time. You're not using partimage, but the dd command. Why? Can that manage boot drives?
Does firebyrd10 agree that you'd better have a linux partition for the backup file, instead of FAT32/NTFS?

Well, no. dd is a program made for copying file and such. It can't manage boot drives, but if your doing what I think your doing, then qtparted should be able to do the managing part.

I agree that, it would be better to use a partition that can handle large files. But if you must use FAT, then split the files into 1-2 gig parts.

dd if=/dev/hda(or other drive) | gzip -(1 through 8) -c | split -b 100000000 (I think you can add meg, and gig to the end of this so you don't have to speify the number of bytes, i'll look into it) - /mnt/hdb1/mypc_hda.img.
But be sure to put them back together when you want to use the image or else you'll get problems. (There is a way to do that with cat but I don't know it yet.)