PDA

View Full Version : cryptoloop & aes stoped working

frantek
08-22-2004, 08:28 PM
hi,

i've createtd a big problem :cry:

i've installed knoppix 3.4 on HD and compiled a kernel 2.6.6 and installed it. i've setup crypto loop's like this:

echo $PW losetup -e AES256 -p 0 /dev/loop0 /cf/xcf0

every thing used to work as expexted. as i wanted a persistend device for my usb stick i've installed "udev" by apt. this removed "mount-aes" from the system.

now i cant use my encrypted files any more. i had to change to "aes-256" but the loop is unsuable. i've tried to use the "original knoppix" losetup and mount from the CD. this only "works" when i use "AES256" but the i get:

ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: The argument is invalid

as i'm really desperate i've setup an fresh system and installed a kernel 2.6.8 but with this setup i also can't use my encrypted files.

can any one help ? i need the data in the cryptoloops !!

TIA
frantek

kelmo
08-23-2004, 01:34 PM
http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/loop-AES/loop-AES-v2.1c.tar.bz2

Try applying the patch in this tarball when compiling the kernel. This will add support for aes encrypted loop-back block-devices.

pau1knopp
08-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Can't you boot from CD (using the default 2.4 kernel), mount the drives where the crypto loops "live" and access them from there? Another person made a comment on kernel 2.6 and crypto at this link:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3403&highlight=

I am interested to try your method using the 2.4 kernel. I will add it to the tips and tricks thread.

I wonder if this is a KNOPPIX specific or kernel 2.6 specific problem.

~pau1

frantek
08-23-2004, 03:19 PM
@kelmo

std. 2.6.8 has built in AES support - what is this patch doing ?

and keep in mind - every thing used to work till I've removed "mount-aes" while installiond "udev" algon with the std. mount and losetup.

i think i've tried the CD method mentioned by pau1knopp without success.

but i will try all this (again) and report.

cheers
frantek

frantek
08-23-2004, 03:26 PM
@pau1knopp

I'ive bootetd from CD and tried to do a losetup. the result was that i can do a losetup but the data stay's unusable as if i've used a wrong password.

BTW: i use as a password a key generated by /dev/random with 2KB. so it contains any kind of data. not ony printable. i do some thing like this:

cat keyfile | losetup ... -p 0 ...

and again: it used to work like this.

cheers
frantek