PDA

View Full Version : Sample files please !

Alex1
03-20-2003, 11:34 AM
Can someone give me some file entry samples for
LILO
XF86Config
Boot
Mount
fstab
I recently installed Knoppix 3.1 CD to HD but am having major problems trying to get to a decent readable KDE desktop.
I keep getting messages in root mailbox saying ‘no volumes found/loaded.
I’m using a floppy to boot into Knoppix/Debian login screen at present and if I had a couple on sample files for above I reckon I would solve these problems.
Any kind soul out there can help, TIA

Alex1 :(

RockMumbles
03-20-2003, 06:40 PM
The best way to get a working XF86Config-4 file for your system is to boot to your knoppix cd and copy the knoppix created file from /etc/X11 on the live system to a floppy or your hard drive, etc. Note: it's XF86Config-4 not XF86Config.

For help with lilo, posting my lilo.conf won't really help much, as it is customized for my system, post back with info about your system, are you dual booting, if yes what other OS. We would also need info regarding your exact hd setup, if you only have one hd installed do a fdisk -l /dev/hda and post back the output. Also post your existing lilo.conf file. Some quick lilo notes, if you are NOT dual booting, ie. knoppix is your only OS then the boot line in your lilo.conf should be: " boot=/dev/hda " to go much further we need more info.

As far as:
I keep getting messages in root mailbox saying ‘no volumes found/loaded.

that message has to do with lvm (logical volumes) and it's annoying but not critical, search this forum to find out how to fix that, it's a cron job problem.

I don't quite understand what you are asking as far as Boot and Mount, /boot is a directory, and Mount? are you referring to /proc/mounts?

in knoppix fstab is messed up because knoppix is supposed to be run from cd not installed to a hd, so fstab is not dealt with correctly, again look in the FAQ and search here for fstab fixes.

HTH

rock

Alex1
03-20-2003, 10:56 PM
Rock
Thanks for tips, I'll get back to you with further info if I cant sort it tonight.
Alex1
:)

Alex1
03-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Rock
Thanks for tips, I'll get back to you with further info if I cant sort it tonight.
Alex1
:)