PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.6 is here!

aay
08-23-2004, 08:04 PM
V3.4-2004-08-16 ("aKademy Release")
- first release after LinuxTag 2004
- Kernel 2.6.7 (as an option) and 2.4.27
- memtest86+ as boot option
- captive-ntfs update
- FreeNX-Server package from Fabian Franz
- hardware detection updates & fixes
- KDE 3.2.3 (which is still more stable than 3.3 in Debian)
- lots and lots of package updates from Debian/testing and unstable

You can get a torrent here: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/stats.html?info_hash=b96d3b1c044589865412d8f392cbd 16825d27753

Jerunk
08-23-2004, 09:52 PM
- captive-ntfs update

You can get a torrent here: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/stats.html?info_hash=b96d3b1c044589865412d8f392cbd 16825d27753

V.3.6-2004-08-16 is what you mean?

Anyways, cool =D

baldyeti
08-23-2004, 11:31 PM
V.3.6-2004-08-16 is what you mean?
Yes - but the typo is present in the changelog. There's no apparent logic to the knoppix version numbers anyway ;-)

aay
08-24-2004, 12:57 AM
Thanks. Yes I just copied the changelog which is mistaken. This is 3.6 however.

Neo-Rio
08-24-2004, 07:02 AM
I was hoping that we'd be using the 2.6.8.1 kernel, but I suppose that's a bit too cutting edge at the moment.

reub2000
08-24-2004, 10:51 AM
I was hoping that we'd be using the 2.6.8.1 kernel, but I suppose that's a bit too cutting edge at the moment.

Me too, so I could use it with my intergrated nic.

What happned to knoppix 3.5?

abittner
08-24-2004, 11:13 AM
wonder why the torrent spreading mechanism for knoppix sux so much this time, hardly any bytes incoming a second.

few of the real mirrors have it already though, and they are real high speed. be sure to check out:

http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/knoppix/

happy downin

Prometeus
08-24-2004, 08:38 PM
After downgrade the package pciutils,alsa works fine, :D i used this version 1.11-7,the original from cd .1.11-15,but nvtv removed :roll:

BNutzer
08-24-2004, 08:59 PM
What happned to knoppix 3.5?
3.5 was the Linuxtag 2004 DVD release (including Gnome et al)

it is still available via
http://www.lob.de/cgi-bin/work/framesetneu?flag=new&frame=yes&id=412b9f78289f2
3-936427-88-7

damjan
08-24-2004, 10:24 PM
This my Knoppix running from cd :D

Hmm, so does Knoppix 3.6 come with kde-3.3.0 or with kde-3.2.3?

Neo-Rio
08-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Gaaaaahh!

I admit the hardware detection in Knoppix is great.... but even this latest version "still" thinks that my soundcard is my logitech USB webcam for some reason. I have a Creative Audigy 2 on a PCI slot inside my machine, and Knoppix thinks my sound card is the webcam for some reason!!!!

fabinho
08-25-2004, 03:11 AM
Prometeus, I`m still downloading it...

Please: kernel 2.6.8 and kde 3.3 are add by you. Am I correct? :wink:

aay
08-25-2004, 03:25 AM
Prometeus, I`m still downloading it...

Please: kernel 2.6.8 and kde 3.3 are add by you. Am I correct? :wink:

Sorry. Neither are on this release. Check out the changelog.

eco2geek
08-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Prometeus -- Can your remaster run in English? And where can I d/l it?

Prometeus
08-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Sorry download not avaliable,im testing new window manager,low memory usage, for inclusion in this iso,based in PrometeusXI
http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/15077-1.jpg

this iso avaliable with kernel 2.4.26-lck1 preemptive,low-latency enable, in
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/brproject/PrometeusXI.iso?download

j.drake
08-25-2004, 04:33 PM
- captive-ntfs update

Whoa! Did I find an undocumented easter egg? There's an menu item that Fabian put in (KNOPPIX -> Utilities -> Install programs (from live CD)), or something like that. Looks to be similar to Klik in concept, but includes APT!! Using a poorman's install (fromhd) with PH, I was able to run apt-get update in the console (or so it appeared). Any word on the limitations of this option or how it works? After running it, I tried to save configuration, but got an error, and got another error when I tried to reboot IIRC, something about the size of the config file. Sure enough, configs.tbz had balooned to 2 MB. Is this where the programs get installed?? (I assumed they'd be installed to the PH, right?) Is there a 2MB file size limitation? Is this a function of the chosen filesystem, such that one filesystem type might be preferable to another for this? I realize there are disclaimers all over the place about the experimental nature of this script, but I am very curious if anyone can shed some light on this.

Are you lurking out there Fabian? C'mon, we need some details!!

jd

bfree
08-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Whoa! Did I find an undocumented easter egg? There's an menu item that Fabian put in (KNOPPIX -> Utilities -> Install programs (from live CD)), or something like that. Looks to be similar to Klik in concept, but includes APT!! Using a poorman's install (fromhd) with PH, I was able to run apt-get update in the console (or so it appeared). Any word on the limitations of this option or how it works? After running it, I tried to save configuration, but got an error, and got another error when I tried to reboot IIRC, something about the size of the config file. Sure enough, configs.tbz had balooned to 2 MB. Is this where the programs get installed?? (I assumed they'd be installed to the PH, right?) Is there a 2MB file size limitation? Is this a function of the chosen filesystem, such that one filesystem type might be preferable to another for this? I realize there are disclaimers all over the place about the experimental nature of this script, but I am very curious if anyone can shed some light on this.

Well I don't think this is new, and it certainly isn't an Easter Egg (I wouldn't call it hidden, would you).

# Install software while it is running from CD into home directory - useful in combination with persistent home or saved config.
# Idea for AppDirs taken from kilk.berlios.de; thk to probono!
APP_DIRECTORY="$HOME/Software"
I'm not sure how the config file is impacted by this feature, perhaps you could look in the configs.tbz and see what's in there taking up the space! Is it the Desktop?

A. Jorge Garcia
08-25-2004, 08:47 PM
prometeus:

Hi! I'm just wondering what the prometeus isos on sf.net are all about? Is this a new project based on kurumin or something different?

TIA,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
08-25-2004, 08:53 PM
jd:

Hi! I don't think that "klik" feature on KNOPPIX 3.6 is new. I thought I saw it there in 3.4 on the last release. However, the apt-get option is new, I think!

I just tried it with my new 3.6 CD (who's iso took forever to d/l) and got nothing really working. I tried to get tuxracer just to see how it worked. It did what looked like a huge apt-get update first, then downloaded and installed the game. The game wouldn't run though!

Then I tried to get apt-get and all seemed well. I tried to apt-get install bzflag and came up with something about an apt-get download space error....

What gives?

Regards,
AJG

j.drake
08-25-2004, 09:10 PM
Oh, I know Klik isn't new. What's new about Klik is that it doesn't work with 3.6. Klik was around before 3.4, IIRC. Klik, as you know, gets installed from an external website. This script is built into Knoppix itself, for the first time that I'm aware. And, I don't recall hearing anything about APT in any context other than a hdinstall before 3.6 - not even rumors.

jd

SUOrangeman
08-26-2004, 12:36 AM
For the first time, support for Promise SATA controllers is built into 3.6-20040816 (2.6 kernel)! I'm not sure if the support was built into the kernel (I *think* it has to be built in, versus using a module).

I've been seeking support for the Promise SATA controller in KNOPPIX kernels (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5487) for about a year now. In the mean time, Gentoo has served me quite well, but it is good to know that I can fall back on KNOPPIX as needed.

-SUO

boehmb
08-26-2004, 02:18 AM
This is the first version that sees my Promise SATA controller, too. All aspects of 3.6 seem to work perfectly on all 3 of my computers. Great work!

LordHarshmage
08-26-2004, 04:37 PM
Okay, I just got the image last night. Burning the image now. I'm just happy that we got a new update! I just couldn't get the captive ntfs program to work right, so I'm hoping this edition will work properly.

ghetto_blaster
08-27-2004, 12:51 PM
So is my knoppix 3.4 worth for updating to 3.6?
I use the HDD install version.
Also i would like to know, is it same as i just update 3.4 version with apt-get update&upgrade?

So is the captive support now better? I couldn't get it work in 3.4 version. Anybody have tried yet?

j.drake
08-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Not in my opinion, from what I've seen so far. Many of the bugs in 3.4 appear to be unresolved in 3.6. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but I can't tell that the 3.4 buglist was consulted or referred to in preparing 3.6. For example, that captive NTFS script still plows my computer into the dirt looking for drivers, long after it's already found them, but gives no option to exit (pulling the plug is the only way to exit). WLAN detection is still wanting, as the 2.6 kernel keeps looking for the prism 2 drivers in the 2.6 directory structure, when they are in the 2.4 directory structure. There are some new on the fly live CD program installation scripts for a few programs, but not as many as Klik, and Klik apparently doesn't work any more. I haven't looked to see if Open Office still has German menus .

To me, it looks like the release focused too heavily on new development of fancy stuff, and not enough on resolving existing problems. You guys didn't hire someone from Redmond to do this release, did you? :wink:

3.6 has a lot of potential that I hope they can iron out (as with any new release - in all fairness, there are far fewer problems than with 3.4's initial release). But I'd recommend sticking with 3.4, if it works for you.

I suspect that the dual kernel thing is causing a lot of problems also (e.g., the wlan drivers). I really hope the next release will just focus on the newest kernel and dump 2.4.

jd

A. Jorge Garcia
08-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Good advice, jd, I never hdinstall the latest, greatest release anyway. It usually takes a few extra releases to get the bugs out anyway!

I am tempted by the FreeNX client/sever model.... :wink:

Regards,
AJG

markb
08-28-2004, 12:22 AM
I have just downloaded and tried out v3.6 and agree with j.drake. Its seems the same bugs that were in 3.4 are still in 3.6. :( My sound doesn't work and it doesn't see my USB drives, etc).

Abehome
08-28-2004, 02:02 AM
I have been using Knoppix 3.6 for few days already after installing on HardDrive using Knoppix-Installer. It is just great. It came with KDE 3.2.3 though and I wish it came with KDE 3.3.x I have done apt-get for some of the latest apps. and worked flawlessly except for KDE 3.3.x. It just wouldn't work. I would like to upgrade to KDE v3.3.x. Any one has done that already? Does it work? Here is my entry in the Sources.list among others
deb ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/kde/stable/3.3/Debian Stable main

Any idea why it didn't work?

Thanks

-Abe

locutus
08-28-2004, 03:31 AM
I have been using Knoppix 3.6 for few days already after installing on HardDrive using Knoppix-Installer. It is just great. It came with KDE 3.2.3 though and I wish it came with KDE 3.3.x I have done apt-get for some of the latest apps. and worked flawlessly except for KDE 3.3.x. It just wouldn't work. I would like to upgrade to KDE v3.3.x. Any one has done that already? Does it work? Here is my entry in the Sources.list among others

Thanks

-Abe

If you're installing to HD, why bother with Knoppix 3.6 and just use 3.4, then apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade? Then you'd have a Debian/Knoppix installation with the lastest KDE v3.3.0 among the many other updated applications.

Just a thought. :-)

j.drake
08-28-2004, 05:08 AM
I haven't looked to see if Open Office still has German menus .

Yep, sure enough.

jd

el_supremo
08-28-2004, 05:27 AM
J.D.
I've tried OO in V3.6 and it has English menus and the help documentation is in English too.
However, as I wrote in another thread, there was something in my persistent home directory which was making OO start up an installation script that was in German. To fix it I had to tar up my V3.4 PH, boot V3.6 without a PH and then create a new PH, start up OO just to be sure it's OK and then untar the V3.4 archive into the new PH.
I've now got a PH in V3.6 and OO is working - finally

Best Wishes
Pete.

j.drake
08-28-2004, 06:12 AM
Thanks, Pete,

Actually, what I was referring to happens with or without a PH, and is documented in the 3.4 buglist. Even though the ovverwhelming majority of menus in Open Office are in English, look under the submenus of File->New, and File->AutoPilot, and I think you'll see that many of the submenus are written in German.

It's not a big deal at all, and the only reason I brought it up was to confirm that the version 3.4 bugs (even the silly ones like this) were not resolved in 3.6. It's not a big deal, and in hindsight, I should have indicated as such with an emoticon when I made the comment. In fact, far be it from me to criticize at all, when the people developing the package are unpaid, and, when it comes to computer skills, I'm not even worthy to wipe their shoes. The only reasons I mentioned the outstanding bugs at all were: (1) to answer the earlier question of whether the 3.6 enhancements over 3.4 justified to time and energy to download and setup, and (2) in an attempt to assist product development by helping to point out issues to be resolved.

As it turns out, I'm having to re-do my PH as well, primarily, I suspect, because I saved the tohd image to the PH partition. Consequently, in order to redo my PH, I had to first boot in live CD without the tohd cheatcode, then set up the PH, then reboot, then setup new configs.

jd

beforewisdom
08-28-2004, 03:34 PM

What does it mean that 2.6.7 is an option. What extra steps are involved to use it?

A. Jorge Garcia
08-28-2004, 04:00 PM
You can choose between 2.6 and 2.4 at boot time.

Regards,
AJG

el_supremo
08-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Even though the ovverwhelming majority of menus in Open Office are in English, look under the submenus of File->New, and File->AutoPilot, and I think you'll see that many of the submenus are written in German.
aha. Sorry about that JD. I didn't dig that deep! I was just glad to see it actually start up at all. All I've been able to get up to now is a German installation dialog.

It's not a big deal at all, and the only reason I brought it up was to confirm that the version 3.4 bugs (even the silly ones like this) were not resolved in 3.6.
Yep. I've run into a few unresolved issues too.

As it turns out, I'm having to re-do my PH as well, primarily, I suspect, because I saved the tohd image to the PH partition. Consequently, in order to redo my PH, I had to first boot in live CD without the tohd cheatcode, then set up the PH, then reboot, then setup new configs.
I also ran into problems when creating the new PH on the same drive as the fromhd drive. When I rebooted, there was an error message during boot up that said that the PH was a FAT32 format. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, booted into windows, moved the knoppix.img file to a different partition, rebooted Knoppix and all was well.

Best Wishes
Pete

Abehome
08-28-2004, 08:27 PM

Thanks

-Abe

If you're installing to HD, why bother with Knoppix 3.6 and just use 3.4, then apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade? Then you'd have a Debian/Knoppix installation with the lastest KDE v3.3.0 among the many other updated applications.

I can't find KDE v3.3.0*.deb (for Debian) any where. Where are you getting it from?

Thanks
-Abe

Prometeus
08-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Next weekend avaliable for mini-cd,only 210mb knoppix 3.6 based

Knoppix 3.6 Reloaded,by Prometeus

http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/15768-1.jpg

:D :D :D :D

English and Brazilian language support
olha o Brasil ai gente :D :D

A. Jorge Garcia
08-29-2004, 02:40 PM
I still don't get how Prometeus is different from KNOPPIX besides the Pocket CD size.

Regards,
AJG

Abehome
08-29-2004, 07:00 PM
I still don't get how Prometeus is different from KNOPPIX besides the Pocket CD size.

Regards,
AJG
At least, as shown in the snapshot, it runs KDE 3.3 instead of 3.2.3. This is what I am interested in and I wonder if he has compiled it and have a deb file for it? It seems like it is very stripped down version? Will it have server/client FreeNX?

-Abe

jjjrrr3
08-30-2004, 01:42 AM

Not everyone has broadband, believe it or not. Maybe they're in between jobs or maybe they live out in the boondocks where broadband isn't available. "apt-get dist-upgrade" is not a practical option for everyone, alas.

tcheun
08-30-2004, 05:41 AM
The output format of "lspci -n" is changed, and it caused a problem
in alsa-autoconfig.
Alas-autoconfig can't grep "Class 401".
It's is necessary to change "Class 0401" to "0401".

bongski55
08-30-2004, 08:41 AM

Not everyone has broadband, believe it or not. Maybe they're in between jobs or maybe they live out in the boondocks where broadband isn't available. "apt-get dist-upgrade" is not a practical option for everyone, alas.

Yes,there is broadband available but the cost is still prohibitive for an ordinary home user like me. Perhaps getting the cd is a good alternative.

Prometeus
08-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Yes FreeNX avaliable,kde 3.3.0 from apt-get :D

pscheie
08-30-2004, 09:18 PM
I can't get the 3.6 release to boot on my Dell Latitude CPx laptop. I get the following during the bootup:

Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [Toshiba MK2016GAP]
Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124]
Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0

and the cursor just sits and blinks at the last line, looking for the cdrom. I had the same problem with version 3.4, but not with version 3.3. Anyone have any suggestions about how to get around this? Thanks.

pnti
08-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Hi:

1. Why you don't use "debianised" Open Office ? It looks better ... .

2. After my ISP changed configuration of its DHCP server (Chello) it doesn't "cooperate" with Knoppix DHCP client (pump). Would't it be possible to add alternative dhcpclient which works fine?

Wojtek.

pulsar
08-31-2004, 12:31 AM
I use OneBase on my 2nd pc wich is knoppix based and it uses dhcpcd. It works realy fine for me. http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=sourcenames&version=all&exact=1&keywords=dhcpcd
Meaby it is also in the knx. repository.

Abehome
08-31-2004, 03:25 AM
Yes FreeNX avaliable,kde 3.3.0 from apt-get :D
I can't find KDE 3.3.0 using apt-get any where, do you have an idea where I can get it from? Or are you implying it will be available next week? :?

-Thanks

Prometeus
08-31-2004, 11:12 AM
Look this

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12777&highlight=

pbs
08-31-2004, 10:34 PM
I can't get the 3.6 release to boot on my Dell Latitude CPx laptop. I get the following during the bootup:

and the cursor just sits and blinks at the last line, looking for the cdrom. I had the same problem with version 3.4, but not with version 3.3. Anyone have any suggestions about how to get around this? Thanks.

Try "knoppix nodma" boot option at CD startup prompt. I have same problem with Dell desktop pc and this gets around it.

bfree
09-01-2004, 01:10 AM

Try "knoppix nodma" boot option at CD startup prompt. I have same problem with Dell desktop pc and this gets around it.
Or perhaps (assuming you don't have any scsi hardware in your latitude) "knoppix noscsi" and/or "knoppix26 noscsi"/"knoppix26". The noscsi is simply because it is hanging on /dev/scd0 which is the first scsi cdrom. As it has detected your hard cd as /dev/hdc one can only assume (though wonders never cease) that the cdrom is not using scsi emulation. For some reason it often seems to be that scsi auto detection can fall over on machines where there is no scsi (but some other piece of hardware is perhaps agressively matched and mistaken as a scsi device).

Steltek
09-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Gaaaaahh!

I admit the hardware detection in Knoppix is great.... but even this latest version "still" thinks that my soundcard is my logitech USB webcam for some reason. I have a Creative Audigy 2 on a PCI slot inside my machine, and Knoppix thinks my sound card is the webcam for some reason!!!!

Your Webcam probably has a microphone and that effectively makes it a sound device. If loaded before your Audigy 2, it will be the first available sound device and that's what's used by default. BTW: Does the Audigy 2 have Linux drivers at all? If there are none, even the best autodetection script won't be able to load drivers for it.

My question: Does Knoppix 3.6 finally have the LVM2 userland utilities?

pbs
09-01-2004, 05:56 PM

Or perhaps (assuming you don't have any scsi hardware in your latitude) "knoppix noscsi" and/or "knoppix26 noscsi"/"knoppix26".

nice idea, but "noscsi" does not help for the case of Dell desktop; still hangs looking for cdrom. "nodma" works, but I don't know why.

Steltek
09-02-2004, 10:21 AM
My question: Does Knoppix 3.6 finally have the LVM2 userland utilities?Replying to myself: Not only does 3.6 not have LVM2, even the LVM1 utilities are now missing! (At least on my Knoppix CD I couldn't run vgscan)

Gencho
09-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Gaaaaahh!

Hello Neo-Rio,

Maybe your soundcard is available at /dev/dsp2 (a hint
by Mr Knopper himself some time ago). (Or, if I remember it
wrong, maybe /dev/dsp1?).

I was experiencing the same problems with a Philips webcam
with a build-in USB microphone, but I haven't plugged in
the camera recently because it is broken.

But I find this annoying too, for many programs asume the
soundcard is /dev/dsp.

Maybe you could plug the camera in after loading Knoppix.
But maybe some things need to be configured at startup time?

jjjrrr3
09-10-2004, 05:55 AM
I've tried to download 3.6-2004-08-16 several different times over multiple days from different servers, but the it always sputters out and quits about half way through. Is anyone else having this problem?

JeniSkunk
09-12-2004, 01:39 AM
jjjrrr3,
What download method do you use? FTP or HTTP?

I had no success at all trying to download Knoppix 3.2 via HTTP, so I gave up on it and used FTP.
The FTP server I download from is raven.cslab.vt.edu - the Computer Science Lab at Virginia Tech in the US.
On dialup, it took me the best part of 10 days to download Knoppix v3.6 r2004-08-16 with multiple stops and download restarts.

Jenifur Charne

chandy
09-13-2004, 06:22 AM
Sir,

I tried your program. I found difficult in your program for remastering the Knoppix CD. So pls give the detail step by step procedure for doing the same. I m trying this in KNOPPIX 3.6 and i m using your program 3.6. So pls reply me as early as possible.

With regards,
Chandy

timread
09-25-2004, 09:21 AM
I wonder if anyone has successfully installed VMWare with Knoppix 3.6.

I tried and firstly the install program didn't like the version of gcc and secondly, even though I downloaded the 2.6.7 kernel sources it rejected them as not being the sources for my kernel....

Any ideas, thanks,

Tim

zenok
09-25-2004, 10:08 AM
delete

timread
09-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I have installed Knoppix on my hard disk and am running it "natively" - what I want to do is to install VMWare on Knoppix so that I can run the occasional windows program without having to dualboot.

Tim

Prometeus
09-26-2004, 01:17 AM
knoppix 3.6 based
only 210mb :shock:
english and portuguese brazilian support

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/brproject/PrometeusXII.iso?download

md5sum 0809f67d0beca03e9960cae58f0f8d36 PrometeusXII.iso

http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/16533-1.jpg

c_cinq
09-26-2004, 01:21 AM
do you a changelog or package for it ?

knoppix 3.6 based
only 210mb :shock:
english and portuguese brazilian support

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/brproject/PrometeusXII.iso?download

md5sum 0809f67d0beca03e9960cae58f0f8d36 PrometeusXII.iso

iceworm
10-06-2004, 01:43 AM
I have been using knoppix 3.2 or 3.3 in German at the University of Alaska Anchorage on the computers in the language lab (I just can't take Windows). I had gotten into the habit of bringing a floppy and doing my homework on the floppy using LaTeX (with vim of course :D) Now in 3.6, LaTeX does not seem to be available. ( :cry: )

Is there something I can do other than going back to 3.2 or 3.3.

Incidently, I made a bunch of 3.6 CD's to hand out at German Day here on campus. Friday, October 1, was the day the local high school German students are invited to UAA for a morning of activities focused on encouraging them to continue with German at the college level. I also had a laptop and desktop as demonstrations. I use the German version here at UAA and I have the German locale on my Debian box at home.

King Monkey
11-10-2004, 04:04 AM
I don't want to bother to use torrent! In fact, u can get a HTTP download at high seed, here: http://www.mirror.ac.uk/downloads/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso