PDA

View Full Version : A few questions RE: Distro Stability

ssbfalcon
08-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi, I'm new, and I love Linux. There is only one reasons I still don't have a Linux HD Install...

I can't figure out which distro to choose!

I'm liking Slackware after testing out the Slax live cd version of it. Even if I don't install, Slax will be my live cd of choice, as it's small <200mb and comes with just enough stuff...

Fedora Core 2 is fast, and pretty good, but it reminds me too much of windows...

Debian- Which I know knoppix is based off of.

I had problems with Knoppix 3.4 RE stability, and lockups, and some software refused to run. I had none of that with Knoppix 3.3. Now I see 3.6 is out. Downloading it is just ridiculous, as I'd probably get a better transfer rate with a 56k modem than my cable one... So question 1 is, is there another way of getting it, at a reasonable download speed?

2. is, Which build of Debian is Knoppix based on? Woody, the latest, testing one, or the unstable one?

3. Is it better to just install Knoppix, or a fresh Debian?

4. Is 3.6 significantly better than 3.4?

Thanks for your help!

user unknown
08-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Please use specific topics like 'distro advice: stabiliy'.

Nearly everybody has a few questions...

ssbfalcon
08-27-2004, 03:11 AM
oh, right... *Edit*

CrashedAgain
08-27-2004, 06:31 AM
Hi, I'm new, and I love Linux. There is only one reasons I still don't have a Linux HD Install...

I can't figure out which distro to choose!

I'm liking Slackware after testing out the Slax live cd version of it. Even if I don't install, Slax will be my live cd of choice, as it's small <200mb and comes with just enough stuff...

Fedora Core 2 is fast, and pretty good, but it reminds me too much of windows...

Debian- Which I know knoppix is based off of.

I had problems with Knoppix 3.4 RE stability, and lockups, and some software refused to run. I had none of that with Knoppix 3.3. Now I see 3.6 is out. Downloading it is just ridiculous, as I'd probably get a better transfer rate with a 56k modem than my cable one... So question 1 is, is there another way of getting it, at a reasonable download speed?

2. is, Which build of Debian is Knoppix based on? Woody, the latest, testing one, or the unstable one?

3. Is it better to just install Knoppix, or a fresh Debian?

4. Is 3.6 significantly better than 3.4?

Thanks for your help!
1. You try a bunch, you choose what you like. There's really no other way. I've not noticed 3.4 being any less stable than 3.3. As for downloads, if you can find a friend.... or maybe try the bookstore. Magazines like Linux Format include disks, I think they had Knoppix on a recent issue. Or Google for a seller.

2. Knoppix is a mix of testing & unstable

3. Knoppix is a LOT easier to install & most of the setups are already done. Most hardware is already supported.

4. Don't know, haven't got it yet & probably won't try it until the inevitable 'bug fix' release.

ssbfalcon
08-28-2004, 02:25 AM
Ok, I found a good server, Downloaded it, and I'll have to say I'm impressed. It is much more stable than previous versions. This time, all of the applications work.