PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix in a Virtual PC virtual machine hosted under Win XP

kenblood
08-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Anybody tried it yet?

I'm thinking about downloading the .iso and trying if I don't hear that it's impossible.

Thanks for any replies

mzilikazi
08-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Well it's certainly possible to boot a knoppix.iso w/ vmware if that's what you're asking.

kenblood
08-23-2004, 11:33 PM
OK, except that this is not VMWare but a product that MS bought from Connectix. It has a pretty good rep as a virtual machine facility in general, but I wondered if anybody had specific experience with it and Knoppix.

If not, guess I will when I get time.

robwelch100
08-23-2004, 11:50 PM
I guess I don't get the point. I have the microsoft virtual pc software. The whole point is to use other oses with the thing. So are you saying you are distrustfull of ms, that you don't think it will let you load a non windows os? ms may be a lot of things but they aren't stupid. They make things that work with other platforms. internet explorer and office are made in a mac version. It is true that ms doesn't like linux creeping up on their maket share but that doesn't mean they won't try to profit from what they can't control. One thing is for sure their virtual pc software integrates well into windows and that is a plus over vm ware. Not to knock vmware but it's like netscape. it runs good and is good software but because windows is closed source the ms product is more likely to run better on the system. Install it and boot the cd and get on with it.

baldyeti
08-24-2004, 12:00 AM
I don't remember them specifically trying knoppix, but there was a comparison between vm-ware an virtPC recently on ArsTechnica. (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/software/virtual-machines/vm-2.html)

robwelch100
08-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks baldyeti, I may stand corrected maybe ms has the software to sell and knows that it won't work with linux. That way the unsuspecting ms user who flirts with the idea of trying linux and has heard the horror of setting it up and then tries it in virtual pc can't get it working and so they just give up and stick with windows. The worst that can happen is that windows crashes, that's not new to windows users.

mzilikazi
08-24-2004, 12:28 AM
I don't remember them specifically trying knoppix, but there was a comparison between vm-ware an virtPC recently on ArsTechnica. (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/software/virtual-machines/vm-2.html)

Interesting article. Of course I wouldn't buy virtualpc because I don't even have a M$ OS to run it on. :) VMware boots windows just fine on my Linux boxen so if ever I did need windows (although that's never happend) that's the way I would go.

My boss had virtualpc on her Mac to boot win2k and it was.....well kinda sucky in that it simply didn't work very well. Maybe user error but I thought even an idiot could set up a Mac. lol

They site the cost of vmware as being higher than virtualpc. Presumably that does not include the cost of the M$ OS too??

probono
09-07-2004, 09:24 AM
You can even do that for free with qemu.

http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/