Ok, nxserver is ready.

To add new users to the nx database do:
nxserver --adduser <username>
Afterwards change the password with:
nxserver --passwd <username>

Have Fun!
Press any key to continue.

But when I try to set up a user:

NX> 100 NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-01 OS (GPL)
Sorry: Password changing for user is _not_ implemented, yet.
Please login to NX-Server to change password
or ask your local system administrator.

So how can I use nxserver?

pau1knopp
08-24-2004, 11:51 AM
still downloading the bittorrent stream, so can't play yet. however, perhaps the knoppix user is already set up? what happens when you try to connect after you start the service?

pau1knopp
08-24-2004, 09:19 PM
probono,

here is the output from my screen when i set up the knoppix user using the commands (run as root) suggested when I start the nxserver service:

root@ttyp1[knoppix]# nxserver --adduser knoppix
NX> User knoppix added.
NX> 999 Bye

root@ttyp3[knoppix]# nxserver --passwd knoppix
New password:
Password changed.
NX> 999 Bye

Not sure why you would be having difficulty, unless you're trying to run the commands as user knoppix...

I am still having difficulty connecting on port 22 though. It authenticates, starts setting up the connection, the reports that nxproxy times out or some such thing. Will continue to work on it though.

Post your results here WHEN you get it working ;)

~pau1

pau1knopp
08-30-2004, 02:06 AM
Okay, got it working. Only works in full screen mode, but is waaay faster the VNC on my 100MB lan at home, contrary to what I have read in other posts. Definately in the ball park with Windows terminal server.

Now to see how to reduce the screen resolution to 800x600 and to attach to an XP client.

Looks very promising. Hopefully NoMachines makes enough money on their commercial products to keep supporting the Windows client. Nice to have a couple free thin client options with Linux.