PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

linuxfool
03-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Well, I finally have a chance to try Linux without messing up my laptop. I have few questions though:

1. When I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 or when I logout, my screen is all messed up. Nothing is legible on the screen. All I see are lines and colors and dots. Why is this happening? My laptop has a nVidia GeForce4 440 Go card and the max resolution I set when using Knoppix is 1400x1050.

2. My laptop does not come with built-in floppy drive and I don't want to install Knoppix on my hard-drive, so, my question is, can I save the configuration on a directory in my Windows partition? Or, is there a way to save configuration on a local HDD?

Thank you for your help.

rickenbacherus
03-20-2003, 10:04 PM
1. When I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 or when I logout, my screen is all messed up. Nothing is legible on the screen. All I see are lines and colors and dots. Why is this happening? My laptop has a nVidia GeForce4 440 Go card and the max resolution I set when using Knoppix is 1400x1050.

I assume that everything works ok except for when you log out or hit Ctrl+Alt+F1.
hmmmmm.....how exactly do you boot? Are you passing any options at boot time?

can I save the configuration on a directory in my Windows partition? Or, is there a way to save configuration on a local HDD?

It's called "persistent home" and you can read about it here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155

linuxfool
03-21-2003, 12:58 AM
When I boot Knoppix, I use this command: knoppix lang=us screen=1400x1050. That's it. And yes, everything works fine except when I logout or hit Ctrl+Alt+F1. :?

Btw, thank you for the link for "Persisten Home" thing. :)

RockMumbles
03-21-2003, 03:54 AM
Do you see the penguin startup screen with hardware detection, etc.?

If not you are using a non-supported video mode for the consoles, so try and boot up with:

knoppix lang=us screen=1400x1050 vga=normal

HTH

rock