PDA

View Full Version : Internet via the firm LAN with knoppix 3.4

jfgananca
08-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Hello from France.

I know that there's a French forum for knoppix but as nobody seems to be able to help me I'm gonna ask my question here.

First of all I have to tell you that I don't work in computers :oops: , I just use them to control some electronics parts I build. I'm in electronics. In the aim to use a embeded Via motherboard with linux and a Python program I've decided to learn how to use Linux and how to program with Python.

So I've installed Knoppix 3.4 on my Hard Drive and I've configured the Ethernet Card with success (I think !). I can ping Ips of computers which are on ne network of my company.

BUT !

When I launch Mozilla or Konqueror It doesn't go on the web ! Why ? Is there anything else to configure ? I can Ping computers of the Company LAN but not URL like "ping www.gananca.com" for example :?

Can anybody help me ?

Thank you very much !

shah
08-26-2004, 03:13 AM
You configured your netcard, it prepared you for network. That's why you can ping you lan.
To able to access www.xxx.xxx you need net access, you already knew that.
If you accessing net through your lan, consider three things:
1) DHCP, did you get your ip through DHCP server of your lan
2) Gateway, the net access point of your lan
3) DNS, your ISP nameserver

1&2 : can be configured using netcardconfig or by editing /etc/network/interfaces
3 : can be configured by editing /etc/resolv.conf

jfgananca
08-27-2004, 09:15 AM
You configured your netcard, it prepared you for network. That's why you can ping you lan.

It's OK now. It works !

Thank You very much :D