PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Default Language in a non-eng knoppix distro!!

freeballer
03-20-2003, 07:58 PM
I played with kurumin, a small knoppix distro that'll fit onto a 200MB CD. The only prob is it's in portugues.
As i understand it most if not all of the non-english parts of the OS is in KDE itself, what file(s) would have to be changed to keep the english?
Is the translation done through /etc/skel/, through the knoppix config files (knoppix.sh, myconfig.tgz), deleting the kde-i18n-* package, or another configuration file?
Anybody who can help and/or has had experience in this sort of thing, I'd welcome it. I would rather have this done permanently through a config file of some kind instead of having to re-enable it everytime.

shlomil
03-21-2003, 01:18 PM
well, i have same problems working on a hebrew remaster of KnoppixKDE.
here is what i found so far:
the file /etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig contains some language settings.
costumization of the GUI can be done by saving knoppix configuration to the floppy and copying the kknoppix.sh and configs.tbz to /mnt/hdaX/knxmaster/KNOPPIX directory.

but the lang evviroment vars still set to en. i don't know where to set it.

shlomil
03-21-2003, 01:26 PM
... oh, and try playing with the files in /etc/sysconfig too .

RockMumbles
03-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=310

rock

freeballer
03-22-2003, 09:03 PM
not much else to say..... :D

shlomil
03-23-2003, 11:26 PM
hmm , they were talking about changing the i18n file , but this file is actually won't take any effect - because it is created by knoppix-autoconfig script.
So, IMO , if you want to set default language settings and keyboard layouts , the best way to do it is to edit the autoconfig script. There's a part in this script that contains local settings and keyboard settings. it worked great for my hebrew KnoppixKDE remaster.

raid517
03-26-2003, 03:00 AM
What is the right way to do this? I tried it the way it was described in that link and it made no difference. What are the correct codes for UK English? What about this autocongig script? i can't seem to locate it. Where is it stored? Is this the correct way to ensure a complete UK english install?

Knoppix is great, but its a shame it is som focused just on German. even Konqueror in super user mode reverts back to genman no matter what you do...

Can anyone please advise?

Q