PDA

View Full Version : linux and 2.6 kernel

firebyrd10
08-26-2004, 03:07 AM
I've fiannly gotten around to installing knoppix .
What I want to know now is what is Linux? I have linux (2.4) and linux (2.6) but I don't get just linux? Whats the point of it and can I remove it?

Also (if its not extremly hard) can I remove the 2.6 kernel? its useless to me and just takes up space.

Hayabusa
08-26-2004, 03:59 AM
sure you can remove a kernel from your machine (I run the 2.6.x kernel and tend to remove the kernel from two iterations prior).. here's the dirty way...

1.) make sure you're not booted into the kernel you wanna remove

2.) go into /lib/modules and remove the folder for the kernel you want to kill (this will take care of the modules)

3.)go into /boot and delete any files assosiated with the kernel you want to remove (vmlinuz, system.map, and config)

4.) (unlikely you'd have the kernel sources but just in case) go to /usr/src and if there's a folder for associated with the version you want to remove, delete it.

you'll then probably want to comment out or remove any lines in /etc/lilo.conf pointing to the kernel you've just removed, and run lilo -v to refresh the file before rebooting.

the easy way would be to see if the kernel was installed from a binary source, then you could just dpkg -r it.