PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 3.3 installs easily-knoppix 3.6 does this instead..

maestrobwh1
08-26-2004, 03:40 AM
Just curious about installing Knoppix 3.6 to the hard drive.

I had Knoppix 3.3 installed on a partition. To do this, I reformatted the partition in W2K with Partition Magic as ext2 (there is no option for ext3) and created a swap partition in a similar manner. This worked great and 3.3 has been wonderful. My issue with 3.3 is that my efforts to change screen resolution from teeny-tiny to 1024*768 never resulted in a change. It kills my eyes. 3.6 allows for easy changing of this. And it never seemed to mount my internal zip drive. So onto 3.6...

I repeated this to install 3.6 which I have on disk, and went to "install' it and it did very well up to where knoppix-install wants to format the partition as ext3 and then it bails on me. I get a green box mentioning some errors and some goobly gook about blocks or superbolocks. The screen turned black and at the bottom it tells me I don't have permission and the disk is read only. I fiddled around with it for a while. I even went into Partition Magic and wiped the 3.3 installation but formatting it as ext2. I made sure it would mounted in KDE, with it set to read and write before going to ctrl-alt-F1 and doing the knoppix-install at the #

This issue did not happen with 3.3. I reinstalled it just to see if there was a disk problem and the only thing I changed from the original install is that instead I formatted it to ext3 instead of ext2. The whole installation worked correctly so I believe my disk to be fine.

Can I install Knoppix 3.6 now that 3.3 is on the ext3 formatted partition just by formatting/writing over it now that it is in ext3? Or, can I upgrade the 3.3 from root as a su using apt-get (upgrade or update) and avoid all of this silliness?

I am a newbie, but just think Linux Knoppix rocks as long as I am in KDE, otherwise is not user intuitive so much and seems more like dos, (which I know!), so anyone who helps will need to be from the standpoint of someone talking to a smart 12 year old about algebra.