PDA

View Full Version : Operation not permitted

sniper
08-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Hello,

I am fairly new with linux so sorry if the answer very simple.

I boot with te knoppix live cd and in order to install my linksys wpc54g wireless network card, I have to make a folder in /lib.

I do a remount of the /KNOPPIX and /mnt/hda1 to rw in order to have a read-write filesystem. Then when I do
sudo mkdir /lib/test
for example the message return
Operation not permitted

Is there any way to modify the /lib filestructure without install KNOPPIX on my hard drive. I have done a poorman installation without any succes.

Thank in advance

Sniper

OErjan
08-26-2004, 04:37 PM
/lib is on CD so not much chance there, sorry.
on a pormans install it MIGHT work.
you could always try klik, a way to "install" to a running CD (not 100% how, never used)
http://klik.berlios.de/

CrashedAgain
08-27-2004, 05:59 AM
Hello,

I am fairly new with linux so sorry if the answer very simple.

I boot with te knoppix live cd and in order to install my linksys wpc54g wireless network card, I have to make a folder in /lib.

I do a remount of the /KNOPPIX and /mnt/hda1 to rw in order to have a read-write filesystem. Then when I do
sudo mkdir /lib/test
for example the message return
Operation not permitted

Is there any way to modify the /lib filestructure without install KNOPPIX on my hard drive. I have done a poorman installation without any succes.

Thank in advance

Sniper

Cannot be done. You cannot mkdir /lib/test because /lib is on the CD & it's read only. A poorman install won't help because /lib is compressed into the "KNOPPIX" file which contains the entire system; to change it you would have make a remaster. Klik will help only if the driver you need is available from klik.

What you can do is:

1. If you can find a way that your card driver program can use a different location instead of /lib, (maybe there is a way that you can specify that the libs it needs are located somewhere else), you can install a 'persistent home' & mkdir a /home/knoppix/lib directory

2. Make a remastered custom knoppix CD including the required driver. To do this you would first have to do a HD install, make the changes then make the reamastered compressed filesystem, then either burn to CD or install as a poormans install.

OR

3. Do a HD install.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.