PDA

View Full Version : [Newbie] LinNeighborhood - how to make it work?

dmpop
08-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Hello,

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a server running Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official. There is Samba installed on it, and it's configured to share user's HOME directories (actually,there is only one user "dmpop"). What I'm trying to do is to connect from my laptop running Knoppix 3.6 to this share using LinNeighborhood. I added a new a new machine and access it using scan as user command ("dmpop" + password). However, when I try to mount the dmpop share I get the following error message:

SMB connection failed
Connection to LOCALHOST (the name of my server) failed

Any ideas? Maybe there is an other (better) way of doing things?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Dmitri

shah
08-27-2004, 05:04 AM
You should know by now that samba is for sharing files between linux and windows.

What I see is you trying to share files between Mandrake and knoppix, both are linux.
I don't know is this posiible or not.

CrashedAgain
08-27-2004, 06:08 AM
To use samba you would have to have samba running on both machines, one as a server & one as a client and you have to get all the passwords correct. It gets difficult.
Try connecting linux->linux using ssh & 'fish' protocol.
see this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12327
When you get ssh set up on both machines, just type
'fish://<root or username>@<ip address of the other machine>' in konqueror.

dmpop
08-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Hi guys,

Thank you for your your help. Actually, it was easier than I thought - the SSH server was already running on my Mandrake server, so all I had to do was to launch Konqueror on my laptop and use fish://ipaddress. It worked like a charm.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Dmitri