PDA

View Full Version : using knoppix live to recover files from ntfs xp pro

katana
08-26-2004, 08:02 PM
new to linux,intrested in moving from xp pro to a linux variant. but my main reason at this time for downloading knoppix is that i was hoping that i could use it to access files on rigs with ms non booting o/s. so i could write them to a cdr. is this possible, i would like to recover files on 95/98/me/xp/xp pro if possible. tell people to make backups but they never listen.. need to do this by running from cdrom. is it quite realiable at booting from cdrom,and does it cause any problems to os on hard drive? cheers for any help..

katana
08-26-2004, 08:07 PM
sorry for putting in wrong place,having a bad day :shock:

metavoid
08-28-2004, 11:46 PM
Yes, you can use knoppix for that. Its very rare that it will not
boot from the cdrom and most of the times this can be fixed by using
a cheat code (extra option). If the computer have a cdrecorder installed its very likely you can burn the files directly. Nothing will happen to the hardisk unless you do it. But besides using it to rescure broken win boxes, you should hdinstalled one and try to use it for some weeks. Its such a nice system. I promise.

katana
08-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Yes, you can use knoppix for that. Its very rare that it will not
boot from the cdrom and most of the times this can be fixed by using
a cheat code (extra option). If the computer have a cdrecorder installed its very likely you can burn the files directly. Nothing will happen to the hardisk unless you do it. But besides using it to rescure broken win boxes, you should hdinstalled one and try to use it for some weeks. Its such a nice system. I promise.
cheers for that will certainly give linux a go,will try dual boot still need ms to use games. like to get rid of totally really. :D

OErjan
08-29-2004, 10:29 AM
i have an external usb2 DVD-burner for things like this. i just plug it in and boot with knoppix then i back things up. works great in 95% of the cases. sometimes the hd is bad or there is a virus on it (several sometimes) and i have to solve hat as it happens... guess you know that.
luckily Liux is ot much disturbed bu Windows viruses so i can stillo burn... it is just that the backups wil be contaminated.

katana
08-29-2004, 11:17 PM
i have an external usb2 DVD-burner for things like this. i just plug it in and boot with knoppix then i back things up. works great in 95% of the cases. sometimes the hd is bad or there is a virus on it (several sometimes) and i have to solve hat as it happens... guess you know that.
luckily Liux is ot much disturbed bu Windows viruses so i can stillo burn... it is just that the backups wil be contaminated.
Good point but so long as you can retrieve those important photo etc. or atleast stand a fighting chance,just used knoppix VERY IMPRESSED ms has lost another customer lol

metavoid
08-31-2004, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear you found it nice.
Mind you that the first week or so, there will be questions on how to do things as
some are really different from the MS world. But once you get used to parts of the system,
you suddenly start feeling like home and in a few month,
you'll only boot to win to play games.
Im been using windows from beta 1 so its not like I hate it,
but a knoppix installed on hd has everything I need besides directcx9 so
I actually have made a new best friend.
Im a programmer and once you learned Bash, you'll start feeling that the console
in XP is sort of braindead.. For a poweruser, linux has so much more to offer.
Also, I setup some boxes with knoppix for some (former :) win98 user and they love it
as it just keeps booting everyday. They are clueless on computers but Kmail and FireFox works
for them as replacement for outlook & IE. Normally They trashed win98 in 2-4 weeks but
now I never hear from them :)

katana
09-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Glad to hear you found it nice.
Mind you that the first week or so, there will be questions on how to do things as
some are really different from the MS world. But once you get used to parts of the system,
you suddenly start feeling like home and in a few month,
you'll only boot to win to play games.
Im been using windows from beta 1 so its not like I hate it,
but a knoppix installed on hd has everything I need besides directcx9 so
I actually have made a new best friend.
Im a programmer and once you learned Bash, you'll start feeling that the console
in XP is sort of braindead.. For a poweruser, linux has so much more to offer.
Also, I setup some boxes with knoppix for some (former :) win98 user and they love it
as it just keeps booting everyday. They are clueless on computers but Kmail and FireFox works
for them as replacement for outlook & IE. Normally They trashed win98 in 2-4 weeks but
now I never hear from them :)
yeah i need to use ms for games (gamer to) have heard WINE can sometimes step in? not sure how easy though. can i ask how you installed knoppix on hd. or did you download debian and do it that way, also how easy was it to install? was thinking of a dual boot with xp pro? bought some people to firefox already, might try em with knoppix. bet they will love it. if everyone uses it they will have to produce linux games lol :D

OErjan
09-02-2004, 06:25 PM
some games are sold in linux variants allready so... keeep spreading the word, some day we might have our share of games.