PDA

View Full Version : How to configure dial up?

rrfish72
08-27-2004, 05:29 AM
I have to use dial up and cannot configure it correctly. It works in windows but don't know how to get it right in knoppix. I tried following the dial up tool but didn't get it to work. Please help so I can post and read from knoppix instead of switching to windows to do that.

CrashedAgain
08-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Question #1: does you modem work? If it's a winmodem, you will have to install a driver. I use ltmodem but it doesn't install straight off the .deb package because there is a problem with the gcc compiler check in Knoppix, specifically that Knoppix kernel was compiled with gcc version 2.xx & that is a mismatch to the ltmodem.

Here's how I get around it:
1. Download ltmodem-8.26a.tar.gz from http://www.heby.de/ltmodem
2. Unpack it to a convenient directory
3. Following the instructions in the 'readme', CD to that directory, then (as root) run ./build-module and 'ltinst2'
4. Edit the script ./autoload to remove the gcc version check. This is an 'if' statement which runs from about line 265 to about line 295. Comment out everything between the "if" and the "fi" by placing a # at the beginning of the line.
5. Then run ./autoload
6. Provided your winmodem is of a type supported by this driver, you should now have a working modem. Check by using KPPP->configure->query modem.

Once modem is working, configuring is easy. I use KPPP & just have to enter the appropriate phone number, user name etc.

rrfish72
08-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Do I download this from windows or from knoppix? I cannot get to the internet from knoppix.

CrashedAgain
08-30-2004, 05:09 AM
I think it should be OK to download using windows but you will have to do the install from linux so save the file to somehwere both windows & linux have access to. Then I suggest you (as root) copy the tar file to /root, unpack it & install from there.