PDA

View Full Version : Adding a mouse driver to a remastered version

drasey
08-27-2004, 05:38 AM
Adding a mouse driver to a remastered version of Knoppix

I initially decided to do a re-master of Knoppix because of a mouse driver problem I was having when booting Knoppix in a VMware session (see below for details).

I've successfully made a few remasters (just minor changes really), and now I'm researching how I can include a mouse driver that allows the mouse to function at full speed (vmmouse_drv.o).

I've looked through mkxf86config & knoppix-autoconfig, but I'm stuck with where & how to "insert" this driver. I would ideally not hack what ever setups X, but rather somehow get this driver in as a "recognized" driver (so that Knoppix will see that when I'm running a mouse under VMware, it should use this driver).

Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction!

Thanks,
Dennis

original post on VMware's forum regarding this issue
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Has anyone been experiencing problems with an extremely slow mouse using Knoppix in a VMware session (as a bootable environment vs. hard disk install)?

While this is a non-supported VMware guest, this seems to be a recent problem (at least for me), and I'm trying to track it down (and hopefully fix it). Mouse movement seemed fine in previous versions of VMWare (pre-v4.5.x), so I'm not certain if this is an issue with the v4.5.x versions, or something I'm doing wrong. I'm seeing this on 2 VMware installs (both running under Debian).

I've tried both autodetect & PS/2 for the "Host Mouse Type" setting, and Connection types of Autodetect, /dev/mouse & /dev/psaux (no apparent difference in regards to this issue).
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ghandalfar
08-27-2004, 08:30 AM
this is strange, mouse here under 4.5.2 build 8842, debian unstable works fine.

about the driver you'd have to compile it against running kernel and copy into lib/modules and then you could probably select it by using expert mode

drasey
08-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Ghandalfar,
I don't have this issue if I install the VMware tools (I'm assuming you've got them installed), but what I wanted to "fix" was the fact that w/o the tools (running off the live cd), the mouse is un-useable (and I'm pretty certain this is a recent issue, older versions of either VMware, Knoppix or X didn't seem to have an issue with the mouse)

-Dennis