TyphoonMentat
08-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Whenever I chroot into my remaster, I get the following:

/bin/bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
and so on.
I've tried doing a chmod 777 /dev/null, I've tried doing chgrp and chown root /dev/null, and I still get the same error. I searched Google for solutions, but their problems were all fixed after a chmod 777, whereas mine still persists.
I can delete /dev/null and it regenerates one and works, but then the remaster fails to work when installed onto the HD, and the regenerated /dev/null is quite odd - it's not even a device file. Any thoughts?

ying-yang7
08-27-2004, 01:53 PM
U must mount the drive that u want to chroot with

mount -rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

changing hda1 with your specific devices
good luck

TyphoonMentat
08-27-2004, 05:18 PM
The drive's already mounted rw, and before you ask, I'm root.

finiderire
09-13-2004, 02:44 AM
Hi, if you speak french you might read this, because i had the same problem and did resolv it : http://www.lea-linux.org/pho/read.php?f=16&i=476&t=476

If you don't understand french, or where is the solution of your problem, just ask. =)

TyphoonMentat
09-13-2004, 07:08 AM
Well, I understood it (almost :wink:), but where does it talk about /dev/null? It gives a guide to installation of Mandrake and use of Morphix, doesn't it?

Steve F
09-13-2004, 01:12 PM
One of the remastering procedures I read says about /dev/null permission errors to do this:

mount -o remount,rw,nosuid -t ext2 /dev/hdaN /mnt/hdaN

mens
10-07-2004, 10:54 AM
in knoppix, if you mount /mnt/hdx, it is by default mouted with the nodev option, so /dev/null won't work there. Before chrooting, you should do mount -oremount,dev /mnt/hdxy