PDA

View Full Version : Firewall recommendations?

eco2geek
08-27-2004, 10:23 AM
I was a bit shocked to find out, while configuring ssh, that Knoppix and Kanotix have no default iptables rules in place.

I'm not sure I need a software firewall, since I'm behind a router that does NAT. But one can't be too careful these days.

In earlier threads, people have talked about Bastille, Shorewall, Firestarter, and Guarddog as easy-to-use front ends to iptables. I tried Guarddog, and ended up somehow making some web sites not load, so I disabled it.

Your firewall thoughts and recommendations, please?

(I do have books that thoroughly explain how to do it all by hand, and I really am going to read them...someday!)

baldyeti
08-27-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure I need a software firewall, since I'm behind a router that does NAT. But one can't be too careful these days.
Here's one quick way to check, eco: http://scan.sygate.com/

shah
08-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Firestarter is the easiest one I can find.
:D

shah
08-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Forgot about my thought...or do I have one.
Bastille and shorewall is script based firewall, I'm not a script kind of person. I don't use them because I can't see what they are up to, and I'm so stupid that I don't know what I'm doing.

Guarddog, gui firewall, that's what I like. I can see what the application is doing...and what I'm doing. But like you said, I also have problem with this application. I can't share connection.

Firestarter, like guarddog but simple and easier. I also don't have problem sharing connection ( built in nat ) and easier to set rules.

:shock: :shock:

bklynjames
08-27-2004, 08:22 PM
I loaded iptables and wrote a script from one of these script generators that echos everything onto the screen when ran. Its an executable that runs only as a certain user, I like it...