PDA

View Full Version : knoppix will not boot

Magik
08-27-2004, 01:46 PM
I get the starting screen and disabled everything with cheat codes. I also tried setting to vga. I hit enter, see a couple lines of text and the computer reboots? Anyone have any idea? I actually tried the memtest through knoppix as well. It also caused a reboot, could it be bad memory?
I computer is quite old as well, but I figured it can run linux. Its a pentium 166.

Hug It
08-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Does it meet the minimum requirements?

Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),
20 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products),
bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),
standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,
serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse.

OErjan
08-27-2004, 05:16 PM
i personally have a p100 and it works in textmode. not fast but... how much memory do you have? id recomend 32Mb or so as min.

Magik
08-27-2004, 05:46 PM
yes, it meets the requirements. Also it has 64Mb RAM.

OErjan
08-27-2004, 06:05 PM
it might be a faulty cd.
have you checked the MD5sum?
if you have and it matches the ISO file is ok. if that doesn't match there is something wrong with the download.
have you tried the knoppix testcd function? if that goes trough it might be something else. hmmm, such old computers can have flaky BIOS batteries, not likely in theis case as it boots.
hmmm.
i guess you have to boot such an old computer with floppies, if so how did you make them. did you check them before making the bootfloppies?

Hug It
08-27-2004, 09:00 PM
It meets the minimum requirements for text mode then, not for booting into the GUI. Have you tried just booting into text mode?

wcloteaux
09-02-2004, 03:22 PM
This problem happened to me recently. I was installing Knoppix 3.6 over 3.4. the system
crashed, that is would not progress further in the loading than the first few lines. In order to correct the problem I had to clean, not format, but wipe the hard drive. I used the commercial program Tuff Test. A new install worked. I have 3 computers with some version of Knoppix/debian installed. I,also, have plug-in hard drives to allow me to change OS at my whim.
I hate to be a "Kill Joy" but I think you have to re-install.

William