PDA

View Full Version : Still need help getting cd rom and dvd drive to work.

rrfish72
08-28-2004, 01:01 AM
I've been working on this for a while now and still need help. dvd drive reads discs as data discs and cdrom also points to the same drive. Tried to make cdrom to point to itself but could not configure or figure it out. Right now the dvd drive kinda works but not properly because it will not play a dvd movie.
The cd drive cannot be mounted because it does not exist. Please help to resolve this issue.

Cuddles
08-29-2004, 04:39 PM
RRFish72,

Being the one who was helping you here, you will have the following, for EVERY cd-rom device in your system...

/cdrom, /cdaudio

If the device is a DVD drive / device, you will also have the following...

/dvd

Both /cdaudio and /dvd are SINGLE ENTITY devices, you will only have ONE of them, unless you create more of them on your own... As for the /cdrom devices, these will ALWAYS EXISTS for ALL your CD-ROM devices, and will have a number after them, if you have more than one...

Your CD-RW is a CD-ROM device, and so is your DVD device ( it can play audio discs, and can be used as a DATA CD-ROM as well )

In your case, you have a CD-RW and a DVD device, and the following devices will be on your system:

/cdrom, /cdrom1, /cdaudio, and /dvd

/cdrom points to ONE of your devices, either your CD-RW or your DVD device, and the /cdrom1 will point to the other one...

Depending on your audio cable, that goes from your ROM device to your sound card, then /cdaudio should be pointed to that device - i.e. my audio cable is connected from my DVD device to my sound card, therefor, /dvd and /cdaudio both point to the device that is where my DVD drive is...

Lastly, /dvd will point to your DVD device...

Here is the kicker RRFish72 - all of the devices named above will give you the SAME error message, if you attempt to OPEN or MOUNT any of the devices if they have something OTHER THAN a DATA CD in them... If you have a AUDIO CD in either device, you need to use a CD PLAYER program to read the disc, not open or mount the disc, same holds true with a DVD disc in your DVD device, you need to use a DVD PLAYER program to read the disc, and not open or mount the disc...

Just to give you a corolation here - I NEVER open or mount any of my devices if they don't have a DATA CD in them - I use the appropriate program to view, or play, them... If I try and open, or mount, a AUDIO CD or DVD disc in my devices, I get the exact same error you get...

When I want to play a AUDIO CD - I put the audio cd in the device, either my CD-RW or DVD device, and use either XMMS, Kaffeine, or CD Player to play the disc with...

When I want to watch a DVD - I put the dvd in the DVD device, and use either XINE or Kaffeine to play the disc with...

When I want to view a DATA CD - I put the DATA CD in either device, open it, or mount it, and am able to view its contents ( don't forget to UMOUNT the device after viewing it though )

You do not MOUNT or OPEN a CD AUDIO or DVD disc in Knoppix, Linux, etc... you use the program that is made to read the disc ( un-mounted ) - CD Player, XMMS, XINE, and Kaffeine, all KNOW how to read these discs, and have all the code in them that can understand how to mount the disc the "right" way, and read the information correctly... And, they also know, when you are done using the disc, how the disc should be un-mounted.

When you mount a CD, in either your CD-RW or DVD device, Knoppix is using the fstab entry for the device, to open it as DATA - note: exaimine your FSTAB file for your /cdrom, /cdrom1, /cdaudio, and /dvd device lines, they will all say ISO9660 -=- this is for DATA CD READING - not for dvd or audio discs... This is why you are getting your errors, a dvd or audio cd ARE NOT data cd's, and the mount knows this, and screams out the error because of it...

I replied to your previous POSTED question, the one where we were working in, and I think I explained it a little better in there too... Try what I suggested - DATA CD in either drive, AUDIO CD in either drive ( but use a player program to play them ), and, lastly, DVD disc in your DVD drive ( but use a dvd player program to play them )........ and I think your devices will work...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles