PDA

View Full Version : After apt-get upgrade I have lost all program entries!

pako
08-28-2004, 02:21 PM
:shock:

After I have made an upgrade of LINUX I have lost all the program entries in the start menu!
and apparently I have also lost most of the program assosiations, so it is quite diffucult to start any programs.

It appears to be a problem with kde, when I start KDE control center the index is empty!

I hope there is a simple way to correct this, it used to be Knoppix 3.2 now I don't know what it is.

Please help

PAKO

baldyeti
08-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Try the following: logoff from KDE, then on a console session (say Ctl-Alt-F1), rename your .kde directory: "mv .kde .kde.bkp". Then logon graphically (Ctl-Alt-F7, KDM). Hopefully KDE will re-create a working default profile for you.

If this fails, I once had a similar problem which was fixed by the foillowing tip: http://www.mepis.org/node/view/1806#comment-6638

Hope this helps,

--bald

pako
08-28-2004, 04:59 PM
:cry:

Sorry it didn't work for me, I did get a new menu but now i also lost the console assosiation!
and all the programs are still missing.

The other tip doesn't work either as I am not able to start the menu editor.

Pako

baldyeti
08-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Check which KDE packages you've got installed (dpkg -l | grep -i kde |sort). It may be that the upgrade left you with a bare KDE setup, and you need to apt-get some additional parts (eg kmenuedit, kdm, kcontrol...)